Thread: American evangelicals and Russian Orthodoxy

American evangelicals and Russian Orthodoxy

I'm not sure what to think of this. At the moment, I am regarding it as an ultra fringe movement but it demonstrates how far some people can run off the tracks---at least my idea of the "tracks"
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I have a buddy (a hedonistic infidel) who has several cousins who are Russian Orthodox Priests.. I’ll keep my ears open..

Evangelicals are probably attracted to the conservative nature of Orthodoxy. Not a lot of support for anything but traditional lifestyles or choices in Russian Orthodoxy.

Russian Orthodoxy in particular has had a huge problem with caeseropapism. The eastern churches generally had a problem due to the Emperor residing in Constantinople but the Russian Orthodox Church became a creature of the state under Ivan the Terrible in the 1500s. The Tsar could excommunicate bishops. Bishops who wanted promotion asked the Tsar, not the Metropolitan. The last Tsar and his entire family were made saints by the Russian Orthodox Church. Needless to say, not even other Orthodox churches recognize these ordinations. I can readily see them promoting Putin. It fits, unfortunately.

caeseropapism
    As usual following one of Kevin's posts, I was off to my online dictionary...It's always an education here......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    As usual following one of Kevin's posts, I was off to my online dictionary...It's always an education here......Ben
    Mme too, Ben. Always great to learn new stuff.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Glad I can just Google it.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson