Actually, I started this a few days ago, I'm just now closing in on completion.

My chef son gave me a carbon steel pan made in France a few years ago. It is a DeBuyer 14 ", generally considered the best of the best in steel pans.

It's incorporation into my use patterns was erratic---and guarded. It never seemed to live up to its billing (probably it thought the same of me ). I ended up with ugly staining on the sides and simply a blotchy messy looking orphan. I could tell my copper clad pots looked down their shinny handles at it---not to mention my ageless shinny cast iron pans.

I had quizzed my son about how to properly season it----or if it needed to be seasoned. His response assumed I knew far more than I did----so the poor Frenchman suffered mostly in the dark in a remote cabinet.

Not wanting to abandoned it, because there are things that it does very well and the extra large size comes in handy. In addition, the heat transfer is much better than my 12" SS clad competitor.

So---I set out on a mission---clean it up and make it both more functional and visually presentable.

And that led me off to the archive of all knowledge-----YouTube

After days of soaking, rubbing, soaking, rubbing with Scotch Brite, steel wool, Comet, Bar Keepers Friend, and vinegar----I finally gained reasonable success in removing all the ugliness The last assault was with a paste of Bar Keepers and white vinegar using steel wool----and huge amounts of elbow grease.

After a thorough washing with copious amounts of soap and hot water I was ready to begin again

Following the method I had chosen from the videos I offered it up to the lord of heat----it went on the largest burner on my commercial gas stove

It took longer than I expected it to, but eventually I ended up with an even blue gray color over the entire surface of the pan---it was scorching

I then moved to the next step----I turned the fan on high and poured on a little grape seed oil and began to rub it into the entire surface with a big wad of paper towels. I had to buy the oil since one of the videos claimed you should use an oil that does not contain fiber---who knew

So, after a cool down the surface was sticky----so I did a reheat and rubbed it well with a clean wad of towels.

Visually it is beautiful and I am sure the functionality will come---I might even use it for dinner tonight