Thread: Project for a rainy day

Project for a rainy day

Actually, I started this a few days ago, I'm just now closing in on completion.

My chef son gave me a carbon steel pan made in France a few years ago. It is a DeBuyer 14 ", generally considered the best of the best in steel pans.

It's incorporation into my use patterns was erratic---and guarded. It never seemed to live up to its billing (probably it thought the same of me ). I ended up with ugly staining on the sides and simply a blotchy messy looking orphan. I could tell my copper clad pots looked down their shinny handles at it---not to mention my ageless shinny cast iron pans.

I had quizzed my son about how to properly season it----or if it needed to be seasoned. His response assumed I knew far more than I did----so the poor Frenchman suffered mostly in the dark in a remote cabinet.

Not wanting to abandoned it, because there are things that it does very well and the extra large size comes in handy. In addition, the heat transfer is much better than my 12" SS clad competitor.

So---I set out on a mission---clean it up and make it both more functional and visually presentable.

And that led me off to the archive of all knowledge-----YouTube

After days of soaking, rubbing, soaking, rubbing with Scotch Brite, steel wool, Comet, Bar Keepers Friend, and vinegar----I finally gained reasonable success in removing all the ugliness The last assault was with a paste of Bar Keepers and white vinegar using steel wool----and huge amounts of elbow grease.

After a thorough washing with copious amounts of soap and hot water I was ready to begin again

Following the method I had chosen from the videos I offered it up to the lord of heat----it went on the largest burner on my commercial gas stove

It took longer than I expected it to, but eventually I ended up with an even blue gray color over the entire surface of the pan---it was scorching

I then moved to the next step----I turned the fan on high and poured on a little grape seed oil and began to rub it into the entire surface with a big wad of paper towels. I had to buy the oil since one of the videos claimed you should use an oil that does not contain fiber---who knew

So, after a cool down the surface was sticky----so I did a reheat and rubbed it well with a clean wad of towels.

Visually it is beautiful and I am sure the functionality will come---I might even use it for dinner tonight
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

For my carbon steel wok, I re-season it after every use. Only takes a few moments and that way, I don't get flash rust. I'm sure you already know but only use a plastic sponge and water to clean your pan or you will need to do a series of heating/oiling sessions to put the nonstick surface back on it. No soap ever. No steel wool or copper fleece.

On the upside, after a few seasonings subsequent to each use, you should have a nice, nonstick surface. Grapeseed is a great choice for both seasoning and high temperature frying, with a high smoke point. Extra light extra virgin olive oil is my go to. Or peanut oil, if I've been making peanut butter and have some handy.

The cleaning of the steel pan will be the same as I do for my old cast iron pans---never a touch of soap do they feel!

I did just order a SS chainmail scrubber to try it---I might not use that on either of these types of pans.

My normal cooking oil is olive oil without any virgins----unless it is going to be low heat.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I replaced a sump pump.. outside.. in the rain.. now that was fun..

Working in auto shops, I had access to sand-blasting equipment and hot tri-clor cleaning tanks (now considered toxic). Seriously, there was not a stain that could survive the process.

I'm not sure I did as well myself. When working with the chemicals (wearing gloves but no respirator) I would hear helicopters and odd music. But, hey, they were paying me a whopping $5 an hour and the resulting mental numbness was free.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    But, hey, they were paying me a whopping $5 an hour and the resulting mental numbness was free.

Hunter
    Ahh the good old days, that's my mind {Not very loud itself any more] screaming above my burnt out lungs. lol
    This is your mind on drugs!

Exactamundo, my friend.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The things we did out of ignorance

I was burning zinc out down inside a rock crushed with a carbon arc torch with not even a mask. They drug me out of there and I woke up in the hospital, who knew

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I'm not sure I did as well myself. When working with the chemicals (wearing gloves but no respirator) I would hear helicopters and odd music. But, hey, they were paying me a whopping $5 an hour and the resulting mental numbness was free.

Hunter
    And I thought I was rich when they paid me $1.25 per bumper to grind them down to get ready for polishing unless it was a Pinto or Camaro then I only got $.75. I paid for a new truck with that.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson