Thread: Roman Catholics

Roman Catholics

I never realized how despised people of my faith were until I started reading the comments section of the New York Times.

There are a lot of people out there that really hate religious folks generally, apparently, and they use deliberately insulting language to express their hatred. References to "Sky Fairy" or "Invisible Man" or whatever. But until this latest issue over abortion, I guess I never realized how many people seem to really, truly suspect Roman Catholics of being controlled entirely by their faith.

I remember the Roe decision. There was shock that some right had been seemingly made up from whole cloth and even liberals who supported the outcome were queasy about the legal reasoning. Yet, since Alito and Barrett and Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are Catholics, it is assumed that their faith is what is guiding their actions, not their judicial philosophy.

This country has a lot of religious bigots. The Times seems to be a hangout for them. Discouraging.

I ignore that entirely
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I like to hear different opinions, so I read it. I've never really had the experience of being hated for my beliefs. People disagree with me all the time. I'm used to that. But the level of anger at people just for being Christian is a bit breath-taking.

Try being a member of the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or mormon. So many false statements about the church that it will make your head swim. And then if you correct what someone wants to think you believe, they tell you that you don’t know what you believe, but their pastor does.
    I do agree on the insults about God. They are just meant to incite those that have had an experience that allows them to believe in God, and I do think more people than anyone realizes has had such an experience, but some just refuse to recognize it.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

The most religious people I know do not pay attention to detractors. For, they are comfortable in what they believe and are comfortable with themselves.

Several of my nieces and nephews have served LDS missions in dangerous countries I will not even visit. Every one of them returned grateful for the experiences they encountered. One of my nephews was robbed and beaten while in the field. Even though some of his broken bones had to be reset, and parasites were throughout his body, his testimony was strengthened.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Try being a member of the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or mormon. So many false statements about the church that it will make your head swim. And then if you correct what someone wants to think you believe, they tell you that you don’t know what you believe, but their pastor does..
    I learned a lot in eight of twelve years of education being in Catholic schools. And yes, being corrected about it is just baffling..
    The nuns taught several things that have stuck with me.. one is that God reveals him/herself to each of us in a manner that we can understand and accept. They also taught that “popular “ religion fills a need that wasn’t filled by it’s predecessor ie: Christianity became popular because it was a loving, inclusive religion, displacing harsher religion.. and there is also some very good marketing involved.

One issue that both LDS and Catholics share is central control.. some people don’t understand that there are something’s that a local congregation do not have the authority to do.. subject came up over an Episcopal congregation changing affiliation to an Anglican bishop and expecting to keep the church building..

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I like to hear different opinions, so I read it. I've never really had the experience of being hated for my beliefs. People disagree with me all the time. I'm used to that. But the level of anger at people just for being Christian is a bit breath-taking.
    I'm afraid we have passed into a period where the word "civility" will soon be noted in the dictionaries as "archaic" or "obsolete". I believe that two primary forces have combined to cause that:

1. The anonymity offered by social media.
    2. The "show" offered by the world of talking heads and populist politicians, both in print and spoken, who obviously believe that offensive and boisterous shouting appeals to the their ill-mannered base.

I view such behind the curtain commentary to be of the same zero value as their public mentors offer
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I have never had a problem with a person's beliefs or religion until they try to control my life with their beliefs.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson