Thread: Mid-Term Elections Swayed by Supreme Court

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mid-Term Elections Swayed by Supreme Court

Now that the up-coming Supreme Court ruling overturning Roe v. Wade has been leaked, I predict a massive voter turnout that will sway the mid-term elections to the left, reversing the expected gains by the Republicans and giving the Democrats even greater power than they currently enjoy.

I am amazed the Court would make such a hot-topic decision immediately prior to the November elections.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

With the President beating the drums, you could be exactly right...
    “What happens,” the president asked, if “a state changes the law saying that children who are LGBTQ can’t be in classrooms with other children? Is that legit under the way the decision is written?”
    ...Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

What I don't get is why bother with the leak in the first place? I doubt it was someone trying to sway the election since the decision, whatever it was going to be, would have been released in June anyways. My guess is that one of the justices supporting the case was getting wobbly.

But yeah, stripping away a Constitutional right that has been in place for over a generation is going to get some blowback.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    With the President beating the drums, you could be exactly right......Ben

He asks a legitimate question. The main idea in Roe, that there are parts of your body that the government has no business in regulating, was enumerated in Griswold. Alito's snotty decision (I read it, it is snotty in a way that Scalia pulled off with his flair for a well-turned phrase and a rapier intelligence) says that idea isn't in the Constitution and so, must be reversed and made a state issue. Other unenumerated rights in the 14th Amendment that have been adjudicated are the right to inter-racial marriage, contraception, gay marriage, and sodomy. By Alito's reasoning, those could be challenged as well. He states that abortion is different because another life is involved and he does not believe that these other decisions are in jeopardy but as we have seen with the latest rash of justices, they say one thing but do another, so right now, I doubt any of the potentially affected groups are resting easily.

I have not a clue what is happening.....

I'm not as certain this will bring countless Democrats to voting stations. For, Biden's low polling numbers are making the next presidential election a toss-up. If a strong Republican rises up, they may be able to win.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

It'll never change until the electoral college is eliminated. Why the population tends to be more to cities than rural, yet because there are more rural counties voting repubilican it will be an unequal sway to the states legislators. Slowly changing here in AZ NM and Texas.

Maybe women, gays and others in those area will figure it out before this next election. Somehow I'm not holding my breath.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'