Thread: Inventory control

Inventory control

I noticed an article in one of my papers this morning about a looming shortage of cooking oil and asking people to limit their purchases---unfortunately I think that serves as a red flag to hoard for many. In my case, I could find myself unwittingly sitting on a gold mine

My wife traditionally did most of the shopping, I generally limited my involvement to fresh meat and seafood. Since my wife's condition has declined I have taken over all the shopping. I do it strictly based on a list which I maintain on my phone using an App called "Out of Milk". The use of an item does not mean it gets added to the list----our inventory was out of control. The lack of control was due to a couple of drivers:

1. Sales of items based on such draws as 10 items for X dollars. The length of time to use 10 items was not part of the equation. Ten would be added to an inventory already out of control.
    2. BJs/Costco syndrome of packaging items in groups of two, three, or four as a single item. That brings me back to the cooking oil. I am currently trying to work through an inventory of 11 barrels of canola oil---and I might use a quart a year of canola oil. I'm thinking about putting it out by the road with a sign on it for about $3.75/gal.
    3. Point of purchase displays at or near to the check out line---we had 743 AA batteries, many of which were long dead

The good news is that after months of this, I am seeing progress---on some shelves I can even see what we have----but there is a long way to go

I remind myself that each time I use something that doesn't need to be replaced (lead-time is 1 week) it is one less thing that we need to move
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wifey and I have been using more olive oil in our cooking as a healthier option than cooking oil. Yeah, it's a bit tougher to fry with it, but that's more than made up for with the upgraded taste.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

After working in Ford dealerships in parts for 17 years I would get made fun of while living at the Grand Canyon. I would build a list in Excel for each store I was going to and I could even remember how their isles were arranged so i could get the dry goods, then the refrigerated items and then the frozen items. I had a 5 cuft freezer in a small shed and shelfs for storage. I could throw a cookout on a moments notice.

I even went to Flagstaff once only to see movies and had made a list of which movie when so they did not over lap. You should have seen the face of the collage man in the ticket booth when I ordered 6 tickets for the different movies.

I would tell my employees that if they looked up anal-retentive they would see my picture.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson