Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: got some new neighbors

got some new neighbors

They moved in a few weeks ago. Mini bikes, RC Cars Typical for this area. I was in my backyard and I hear the distinctive sound of muffled retorts and impacts. I figured airsoft or bow and arrow. I walked over and the dad was in the garage so I asked him. He had that oh sh!t look and said pellet gun. He was relieved when I said cool have fun, the impacts sound like my arrows when they hit the target in my backdoor range. He was like so no problem? I responded hell as long as you have a heavy barrier nobody in the neighborhood is going to care. Turns out he is an Ex Marine and runs some counseling centers and I transport a few of his clients. Small world. Looks like he will fit right in.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

of course this was what I was doing at the time in my yard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022_0430_13511900_2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	38797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220430_150643.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	326.5 KB 
ID:	38798
    Last edited by TriGuy; 04-30-2022 at 05:11 PM.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Nice. From what you've said, he sounds like someone I'd like to know as well.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

House next to me was sold and turned in to an AirBNB... So far no issues. It appears to be renting out for birthday parties. People show up , kids play in the pool for a few hours and then everyone goes away.

I hope it continues that way.

My wife got robbed in an AirBNB in Paris and the cops told her it is common. When people realize an apartment is being rented out to transients they link up with someone in the building that tips them off when the occupant leaves for the day or evening---then the thieves go to work.

My wife was lucky---they didn't get much--a tablet and some jewelry as I recall----she had been robbed on the train a few days prior and they got all the good stuff--including her passport.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Paris does not sound like a fun place to go....

I lived there for a couple of years when I was in high school. It seemed strange that hardly anyone spoke French.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Paris does not sound like a fun place to go....
    It has never enjoyed a high place on my list-----far too damn many Frenchmen there

Mike said:

I lived there for a couple of years when I was in high school. It seemed strange that hardly anyone spoke French.
    Interesting, mind telling us more?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Not much more to tell, Dave. It's just another little Texas town about 125 miles Northwest of where I live now.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Not much more to tell, Dave. It's just another little Texas town about 125 miles Northwest of where I live now.
    That's kind of like I currently live in Finland

Finland, Pennsylvania is a small village and an unincorporated community on the Unami Creek in southern Milford Township, Bucks County. It is split between the Green Lane zip code of 18054 and the Pennsburg zip code of 18073.[1] The immediate area was known in the 1920s as the "Poconos of Philadelphia" and as "The Fineland," and it is from this latter name that the US post office had put it on the map as Finland in 1886. Multiple summer camps have been located in this area and one of them is still in use.[2] The Unami Creek flows southward to the Perkiomen Creek. The village was established by Finnish immigrants to New Sweden.[

Bet they don't speak much Finnish there, huh?

Bet they don't speak much Finnish there, huh?
    Nope----but a few still speak PA Dutch

We have more and more folks speaking Spanish. It will soon be the predominant language in Texas. I am slowly learning it myself. I would like to know what others around me are saying.

That reminds me of something my middle son told me in response to a question I asked him after about a year in China. He said he was getting no help from his staff in learning the language---who actively did not want him to learn Chinese----because then they could not talk about him in his presence

Over the eight years that he was in China he only got moderately fluent in Mandarin.

I would like to know what others around me are saying.
    Buenos dias!
    This is your mind on drugs!