Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: got some new neighbors

That's the same with the Hispanics in Texas. Even those you consider friends and think would want to speak their native language with you won't really help. They will put on a show of helping, but that's all it is. They don't want you to know what they are saying. I don't blame them, who doesn't want to have a secret code?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    Buenos dias!
    Buenos días mi amigo.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I call it Spanglish and I speak it well

I'm seeing the upcoming generation in my family strongly embrace their Hispanic heritage. One of my Nephews and his wife speak only Spanish in their home. None of it is nationalistic, they simply want to see their cultural ties live on. I suck at it. After taking Spanish classes throughout my childhood - I rarely speak it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    None of it is nationalistic,
    Hunter

What does that mean ?

Well, I mean their use of Spanish is not a political decision. My relatives simply like the cultural connection it gives them and their children.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Dos Asada Tacos y uno mas cerveza por favor
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Me gusta.

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Not much more to tell, Dave. It's just another little Texas town about 125 miles Northwest of where I live now.
    Bodacious Bar be que. Truck parking.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Funny story about France. I went to France and Belgium on my two year mission sometime in the last century. I finally got her to go see Paris with me. The funny thing was, rather being the typical rude Parisians, everywhere she turned, people were helping her, and generally being out right pleasant. I still speak French pretty fluently, because I have worked to retain it. If we came across a problem some where in the street, I had to keep my mouth shut, because she had far better results getting help, with no french than I did being able to communicate.
    Mind you this is the woman that was in a Costco checking out a couple of flatbeds of stuff, and told someone, super nicely, that they might want to go to a less busy line because we were going to be a while. The guy went off on me and how could I be married to her being so direct. I explained he must be a fragile little flower, and that what she said was nothing, he should have met my mom. No fight ensued, he left.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I was sent to France, Nimes in Provance.. accompanied an aircraft there for a joint exercise.. aircraft flew out over the Med and promptly broke, diverted into Sicily where full aircraft support was available.. left six of us “stranded” for several daze.. had a great time, people were wonderful, I speak zero French and when I got nervous would sputter Spanglish..

We were an hour from the beach, the Riveria.. first full day of abandonment I was at the bus depot at 0745 and on a bus to Gran Mont on the coast.. had a great time and made my way back, all speaking no French.. even an unscheduled bus change mid trip home (French bus driver would speak slower and louder, in French, as he led me off of one bus and on to the one next to it..

Any way when it was over, and I was back at “base” I was informed that if I had been 10 minutes later that morning the beach bus would be going one town west of my town.. It went to the nudist town.. now, how funny would it have been to get off of the bus, watch it drive away and then walk the two blocks to the beach/boardwalk and realize that you are the only one clothed.. and still don’t speak a word of French to ask what just happend..

I'm happy to hear that some have a better impression of Frenchmen than me. In business, I found them to be cordial and not to display any of the ego I found on the street. Most people will be patient with anyone who tries to speak their language, the French (Paris in particular) were not---they could be condescending to the point of even ignoring you. In fairness, I have to say this "French attitude" generally prevailed in Paris but not as much in the country side.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My experience in France was brief, and self limited...I arrived in West Germany in 1966 just in time for the pompous and ungrateful DeGaulle to tell all Americans to take the nukes that guarded them from the Commie threat, and exit the country...So although I was based a few hours drive from their country, I only drove through a small corner of it returning to Germany from the Gran Prix of Monaco one time...I held my nose passing through and did not stop......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Working with the French was very different.. they had their own agenda.. I remember one rush for White House Communications (secDef maybe, wasn’t POTUS).. they all took the afternoon off “it is Jean-Marc Birthday, of course “..

But they were nice to me when I was “stuck” there..