Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technology----I love it!

Technology----I love it!

We bought a new refrigerator last summer (it had been on order for 6 months). Nothing special---just a regular old domestic side by side refrigerator/freezer.

It hasn't been a good experience---it can't make enough ice to supply my wife and me----plus it has temperature control problems. We had the authorized factory service dude show up and immediately diagnosed the problem as a defective ice maker! That took 2 minutes and he told my wife they would ship a new one and when it arrived to call them again and he would come and install it. Well---that took about three weeks and he came and installed the new ice maker.

I "missed" him on his first visit but was here for the replay. I suggested to him that the ice maker was only a symptom and not the root cause of the problem----he knew better. I offered to show him a series of pictures of the thermometers I had installed in both the refrigerator and the freezer---he wasn't interested. He told me if I wasn't using a digital IR non-contact laser temperature gun I was only wasting my time. He even took his out and took a few shots---I guess to make me envious. I did notice that his laser gun was showing the same temperature that my dial thermometers showed---but I didn't belabor the point.

Further to that introduction to thermodynamics he proceeded to lecture me on the finer points of the refrigerator---it sounded like a training tape in replay

So----now they are coming back because it seems the new ice maker has the same problem making ice as the original one had---imagine that

But this time I am lying in wait. I have upped my game----for $35

And it is cool----no pun intended I have a unit in the refrigerator and another in the freezer. I installed them today. There was nothing to set them up (I had to pick F or C) and downloaded the APP on my phone. The first one paired to my phone in the common Bluetooth method without any issue and the second one climbed on board all by itself.

So, now I am recording temperature and humidity in both sides, 24 hours a day and graphing the results.

With about 10 hours of monitoring and the refrigerator set at the "Ideal" setting the refrigerator has varied from a low of 30.2 to a high of 37.0 and the freezer from -6.0 to +12.0

I can't wait
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 04-30-2022 at 07:58 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I quit making ice at home. Found it was easier to buy bags of it when going by McD's or Wendy's. Buy 6 bags store in freezer and use when needed.

But trying to find a frig without the ice maker was harder.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Bought a brand newRV in May 2018.. had similar refrigeration problem.

My symptom was that a small “Rubbermaid shoebox” full of ice was placed in the freezer.. the next day the ice was all stuck together and there was a sheet of ice in the bottom of the box.. as time went on the sheet of ice in the bottom of the box became thicker and ice cubes (still stuck together) became smaller..

RV dealership solution was for me to leave the RV with them for a few weeks.

After second trip (78 miles each way) I informed the dealership owner to schedule a time, I’d be there, they could either have a properly working fridge in the RV when I left or refund my purchase price. And oh, by the way, there is a lot of internet traffic on the RV forums about my brand fridge being manufactured with bad thermostat cards..

I received a call from the service manager asking me to come back by the shop, they had received a new thermostat card from the manufacturer..

Works fine now..

Good luck..

I'm thinking that might just be a roadmap for where this is going to go.
    If I change the control setting to stop freezing things in the refrigerator it becomes too warm in the refrigerator and the freezer stops making ice.

Added in edit :

Range of temperature for the last 24 hours :

Refrigerator, 29.3 to 35.8. Normal range, 30 to 35.
    Freezer, -5.4 to 19.8. Normal range , -4 to +8.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 05-01-2022 at 08:07 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"...if I wasn't using a digital IR non-contact laser temperature gun I was only wasting my time."
    - Dave

We're already in over my head. For me, it's simple - if the fridge is right above freezing, I'm good. Yeah, I'm old.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I'm a Kenmore guy... The new stuff from LG etc... is just crap.

Kitchen fridge is 16 years old and in that time I've replaced 1 ice maker and a blower fan.
    Garage fridge is probably 40 years old and I bought it used and has never given me any issues. I clean the coils when I remember to do so and it just runs like a champ. The garage is west facing and gets very hot but it never has a problem keeping stuff cool. Actually when it's real hot it runs so much it has a tendency to freeze stuff top rack of the fridge side.

Of course having said that. it will die on me soon

Fridge humor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fridge.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	38804  

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I'm a Kenmore guy...
    Kenmore major appliances have been made by Whirlpool for more years than I can count.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I hate to say this---but this POS is a Whirlpool

At one week into this the range is 28.9 to 36.5. The "nominal" control high to low is 34.5 to 30.

The Freezer is 20.1 to -6.9, nominal range is -5.0 to +6.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Kenmore major appliances have been made by Whirlpool for more years than I can count.
    Amana, Jenn-air, KitchenAid, and Maytag are also made by Whirlpool. Learn something new every day.
    Just saw an article that says Whirlpool is also made by LG, Electrolux, Panasonic, Cleva North America and Daewoo Electronics.
    Last edited by mgrist; 05-04-2022 at 05:24 PM.
    This is your mind on drugs!

My garage fridge was made by Kenmore.... It's that old

I'll bet if you look at the parts they will have "FSP" inscribed. Whirlpool.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Professor Google always knows......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Basement fridge is a Kenmore.. (why would you put a fridge in the garage?)

I'm told that the "G" in LG stands for Goldstar..

[QUOTE=Sandman;1089592 (why would you put a fridge in the garage?)

.[/QUOTE]

What is a basement???

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Basement fridge is a Kenmore.. (why would you put a fridge in the garage?)

I'm told that the "G" in LG stands for Goldstar..
    LG = Life's Good....