Thread: Move over Sheila Jackson

Move over Sheila Jackson

...you have been replaced as the leader of the Congressional stupid parade. I'm not even sure where you place anymore but the rinos are clearly winning:

Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert reportedly almost came to blows over Greene’s appearance at a white nationalist event in February, to the point that someone had to step in between them to de-escalate the confrontation. Three people close to the Freedom Caucus confirmed the spat to Politico, which took place during a meeting of the caucus’ board of directors.

Greene and Boebert, two of the most virulent conspiracy theorists in Congress, seem like they’d be the best of friends. They trade in the same kinds of bigotry; whine over the same culture war issues animating Trump’s base, and even heckled President Biden together during the State of the Union address last month.

This doesn’t seem to be the case. Politico notes that Boebert “detests” being tied to Greene, and that she was none too pleased with Greene’s decision to give a speech at a white nationalist conference organized by Nick Fuentes during which speakers pushed the “great replacement” theory, called for Dr. Anthony Fauci to be hanged, called for the audience to cheer Vladimir Putin, and gave winking nods to Hitler. Greene’s presence was controversial enough that she attempted to distance herself from Fuentes, claiming she doesn’t know him and thus she “is not aligned with anything that may be controversial.”

One would think, however, that a lawmaker, or at least a lawmaker’s staff, would be aware that they are appearing on the bill of a white nationalist event.
    Even the squad can't get an honorable mention these days

Yes sir---we be in good hands
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

All Fed legislators have Analysts assigned to work under them. I worked as an Analyst for 10 years and I, like any analyst, kept my boss fully informed of what I encountered. For, if my assigned legislator made a mistake - it clearly showed I had failed to perform my job.

Any legislator who performs poorly is choosing not to listen to their own staff.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

It's everywhere. Britain's government is more screwed up then ours. Their headlines are out pacing Putin. We don't know where to draw the line for anything anymore just give it a name and call it a minority and there's nothing wrong anymore.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    Britain's government is more screwed up then ours.
    An excellent point. For, even at our worst, our system is a high point in the world.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Wellllll,

Not so much.

I love my country but there is nothing truly exceptional about our system of government. Plenty of other countries have much more functional systems, depending on your criteria for success. The Finns, the Swedes, the Norwegians, the Danes, the Belgians, the Czechs, the Slovakians, the Austrians, the Monacans, lots of countries could make a serious case for having a more functional system of government. That's just one continent and only the more representational forms of government.

The principles of our founding were wonderful and noble. In practice, things got messy. We tolerated slavery in our foundational document, killed each other over that issue in a big civil war, were just fine with genocide against our own Native Americans; we institutionalized racism and bigotry. We have always opposed immigration from any "non-Western" sources and at one time, included Southern and Eastern Europeans as criminals or subhuman. We didn't let Catholics have jobs. Our own government agencies, in the late 20th century, were taken to court for pervasive bias against black farmers and won by showing incontrovertible evidence of discrimination.

We have sponsored assassinations. We have sponsored coups. We support dictators. We talk about human rights and morals and at the same time prop up the Shah of Iran. Or Hussein. Or Pinochet. Or Marcos. Or Botha. Or Ortega, until he became inconvenient. There is A LOT of misery in this world, especially in the developing nations, that we directly caused.

I think it is time to give up the idea of American Exceptionalism. I love my country, warts and all, but I see the warts and want us to do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Wellllll,

Not so much.

I love my country but there is nothing truly exceptional about our system of government. Plenty of other countries have much more functional systems, depending on your criteria for success. The Finns, the Swedes, the Norwegians, the Danes, the Belgians, the Czechs, the Slovakians, the Austrians, the Monacans, lots of countries could make a serious case for having a more functional system of government. That's just one continent and only the more representational forms of government.

The principles of our founding were wonderful and noble. In practice, things got messy. We tolerated slavery in our foundational document, killed each other over that issue in a big civil war, were just fine with genocide against our own Native Americans; we institutionalized racism and bigotry. We have always opposed immigration from any "non-Western" sources and at one time, included Southern and Eastern Europeans as criminals or subhuman. We didn't let Catholics have jobs. Our own government agencies, in the late 20th century, were taken to court for pervasive bias against black farmers and won by showing incontrovertible evidence of discrimination.

We have sponsored assassinations. We have sponsored coups. We support dictators. We talk about human rights and morals and at the same time prop up the Shah of Iran. Or Hussein. Or Pinochet. Or Marcos. Or Botha. Or Ortega, until he became inconvenient. There is A LOT of misery in this world, especially in the developing nations, that we directly caused.

I think it is time to give up the idea of American Exceptionalism. I love my country, warts and all, but I see the warts and want us to do better.
    I dislike shaming another person or country just to make ours look better yet I just did it again, it still means we suck just not as bad as everyone else. We can be great again if we would/could just work together again, stand up for our flag and be proud of it, not burn it every time grown men want to follow my little girl into the bathroom.
    This is your mind on drugs!

"...we suck just not as bad as everyone else."
    - mgrist

Works for me.

Hunter