Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The time has come

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    When I die, my wife has two weeks to either sell the guns or give them to the police for destruction.
    So you can't leave them to others in your will?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Nope. However, in that two week period, someone can add my handgun to his or her permit and the gun can be transferred to that person. But only a permit holder and only within that two week period to obtain a modification to their permit. And the transfer has to go through an FFL, as a background check must be done at the time of transfer. Then coupon to the county clerk, add the gun, back to the FFL to pick up the gun blah blah blah.

In all honesty, though, permits are rare and I don't know anyone who would be willing to jump through all the hoops of getting the coupon, going to the county clerk, getting the background check and then getting the gun added to their permit, then back to the FFL to pick up the gun. I expect my handgun to be sold at the time of my death, just because of the rigamarole you have to go through to do a transfer. Easier to do an outright sale to an FFL.

Oh, and every five years, we have to recertify to the state that we are still able to possess a handgun (no criminal activity, no orders of protection against us, etc.). It is up to me to ensure that I stay on top of this. If I miss my recertification date, my permit is yanked. If someone breaks into my house and steals my gun, my permit is yanked. If I get arrested for anything (DWI, whatever), my permit is yanked. If I look cross-eyed at anyone, it seems, my permit is yanked. Tough state. Basically, NY does not want you to have a handgun and searches for excuses to take it away from a person.

It looks like my Kimber, my Remington 870, my Marlin Camp 45, my 113 S&W's and I will just live here in Texas for a while then......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Basically, NY does not want you to have a handgun and searches for excuses to take it away from a person.
    Yeah, it sure looks that way. In our upstairs section, members were discussing state v federal rights. This action by NY state correlates.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Yeah, it sure looks that way. In our upstairs section, members were discussing state v federal rights. This action by NY state correlates.

Hunter
    Yeah they are steady getting our guns or like NY making it so difficult that one won't even bother.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    Yeah they are steady getting our guns or like NY making it so difficult that one won't even bother.
    I went to the gun show today with my old running buddy who is still a cop...He told me about several conversations lately with recent transplants from Illinois and California who wanted to know how to go about registering the guns they managed to escape with...He said it sometimes takes a while to convince them that Texas has no gun registration, and they are free to own, possess and carry on their person whatever belongs to them...Welcome to freedom......Ben

Yeah, Utah has reached the same firearms status, Ben. What's important is the firearm is out in the open and readily visible. Concealment is another matter and requires a relatively easy to obtain certification/license.

Yet, it's not like we're knee-deep in firearms. I can count on one hand how many firearms I've seen worn in public. If I recall, when you visited SLC Ben, you were surprised to learn that we were allowed to be armed in Utah's Capitol building. One can even stroll into the Governor's Office armed without raising an eyebrow.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Good luck with the changes Dave. I know I did it backwards. I sold my condo in Colorado and moved into a 24' fifth wheel and travel around and lived in it until I moved up to a 36" double slide Alfa in 2003. The cleaning happened way back in 1994 and in many ways it was freeing not to have to worry about "stuff". I did have a storage locker for two years but decided I hadn't an idea where I wanted to end up so I was back home for the summer and told the relatives that if there was something in there they wanted they better speak up, other wise it was off to the flea market and then the dumpster.

So I waited until I was ready to retire to buy a house in 2018. I've now have outfitted two garages with cheap woodworking tools and metal working tools. I'm still traveling 6 months, more or less a year but the plan is at the point I'm no longer able to wheel around a crew cab dually with a 37' fifth wheel I'll put heat in the garages and sell the travel toys, probably the pontoon also. I'll hold up in the house and garages until I fall over or I wander the streets in a circle and they haul me away.

My mom used to give me trouble about planning for later and my response was "I'm dead, what do I care". I have my dad's Winchester Model 70 300 H&H (1947) that will go to one of the nephews but I figure I'll let them figure out the rest. I might shock them and just leave it all to one person and let the fighting begin.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson