Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The time has come

I just thought of something I've got you all beat in the moving part. I don't have a home, everything I have left after these last several years will fit in the truck with room for me and the dog to sleep. It's not all it's cracked up to be.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    ...everything I have left after these last several years will fit in the truck with room for me and the dog to sleep.
    That takes me back, my friend. When younger I could fit all my possessions in my little Honda civic. It's something to look at it and realize I had almost nothing and yet was totally oblivious. I literally had nothing to lose - yet I was satisfied.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    Hey Dave wouldn't moving into the cottage while you got all the hurtful worrisome stuff done at your original home help the adjustment so to speak.
    please be advised that would put dave and Mrs.Grubb within 30 minutes of me. who knows what might happen!

best of luck to you and the wife, Dave. hope it's an easy move/transition for you both and i wish her speedy releif.
    it's time to change the air in my head

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Best of luck to Ms. G.. I can relate to her aversion to opiates (I was ODed on Oxy after knee surgery, unfortunately I missed the fun part and straight to the zombie part) Seriously, they don’t work the same on everyone for some people they make them “dopey” but the pain doesn’t go away.

My wife's brief fling into opiates was similar to yours---she mostly complained of feeling weird and like a zombie. I can attest to the accuracy of that observation

Regarding the cottage, that is an option that might have to be used but my wife seems set on moving on. The maintenance of this place is costly. We have 6 acres of mown grass, extensive landscaping that needs to be pruned and maintained (we use 20 yds of mulch). Just tree work last year was over $8000.

We do have an estimate to make the minimum necessary changes here and that was over $70,000 plus and elevator at $40,000.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yeah, it's been interesting to see how Opiates impact different people. My Wifey hates 'em - and won't take them. In the meantime, I do much better when Opiates are at a therapeutic level in my system. I continue to try and find something else as effective - but continue to fail. What we need is something as powerful as Fentynal, yet safer. Sadly, people who think they are in control of their Opiate or Fentanyl intake are dying (like Prince the entertainer).

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I'm feeling a bit sad, my guns left this morning. It feels like part of me is gone I'm left with only 22s, one pistol and a couple of rifles.

I will post a link to the auction house as soon as they begin showing up. The auction will take place in July.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I will post a link to the auction house as soon as they begin showing up. The auction will take place in July.
    Any S&W revolvers I should be aware of?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Any S&W revolvers I should be aware of?......Ben
    No----I was primarily SXS shotguns for investment grade guns and a few O/U plus a few rifles. I held back one 22 pistol but no S&W did I have. I found this morning that I was missing a couple of pistols One of them was my 44 Mag Ruger with a scope on it that I used to carry while fishing in Alaska.

Missing? As in, you don't know where it is or what happened to it?

And why would you need a scope on a 44 mag for fishing? Wouldn't the fish be pretty close, so you wouldn't need a scope to shoot them? Either way, any fish I need a 44 mag for is one that I would leave alone.
    Last edited by Kevin; 05-04-2022 at 08:50 PM.

I didn't plan on shooting fish, the plan was to shoot other fishermen if the need presented itself.

The other fishermen wore big brown coveralls

As for the missing, I suspect I know where they got to, if I am correct it was an inside job. He has "borrowed" more than a few of my guns.

Interesting!

Here in NY, we have permits for possession of a handgun. The handguns we are permitted to possess are listed by SN on the permit. If you do not have a permit for the specific gun you are handling, you are in criminal possession of a firearm. No lending to family members. Even at the range, if I am shooting my Sig and another person is shooting, say a revolver, we cannot even touch each other's handguns as that would mean that we are in possession of a handgun which is not listed on our permit. My wife cannot move my handgun to clean, technically, since she has no permit. If she were to get a permit, she could cross list my handgun but cross listing is only for spouses. If I ever told a State Trooper that I think my child borrowed my handgun, that child would be arrested and I would lose my permit for not keeping my handgun secured.

Hardly anyone has a carry permit these days. I got mine back when things were less stringent but I still had to just about know God in order to get a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The handguns we are permitted to possess are listed by SN on the permit. If you do not have a permit for the specific gun you are handling, you are in criminal possession of a firearm.
    Do you have gun shows or gun stores in NY, Kevin?...If so, can you handle a gun before buying it?...Can you even buy a gun?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

PA is not that restricted, I'm not sure of MD where I believe they now reside

Pistols have progressively become more regulated over time, thus my aversion to collecting them. It is probably 25 years since I last sold a pistol. Ironically, that one went to NY.

Just as a side note on the fishing----I successfully used a more active method to avoid the bears, thus never needing to employee my last line of defense. I sang whenever I was close to a bend in the stream or anything that constricted my field of view----the bears seemed to enjoy my musical talents almost as much as me

That avoided either one of us surprising the other----by far the most common cause of a bear attack, of course, they might have thought that anything that sounded that poor wasn't going to be very tasty either

In NY, only licensed gun dealers are allowed at gun shows. When I bought my first handgun, a P39A SW 9mm, I went to a dealer and used it at his range out back of the store. I put a deposit on it and got a coupon to give to the county clerk to begin the background investigation process - you had to have a specific gun on deposit so they knew what SN to put on your eventual permit. After passing the background check, I got a coupon and permit to take back to the dealer to get my handgun.

Since then, any additional handguns were purchased solely through dealers. You can't do a private sale of a handgun in NY. At a gun show, only licensed firearms dealers are allowed, so the law permits you to touch a handgun, much as if you were in their shop.

When I die, my wife has two weeks to either sell the guns or give them to the police for destruction.