Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The time has come

I don't believe I ever heard that term before

Tempus fugit is a Latin phrase, usually translated into English as "time flies". The expression comes from line 284 of book 3 of Virgil's Georgics, where it appears as fugit inreparabile tempus: "it escapes, irretrievable time". Wikipedia
    My nugget for the day
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I have a 22 pistol that I am thinking about holding back----the thought of being without any guns is just now starting to sink in

They have been such an important part of my life that going cold turkey is scary to me at this moment!
    When I gave up my personal collection to finance my last divorce in 2008, and consequently exited the gun business, I retained seven guns in my safe, then pretty much lost interest although I still carried one every day...In 2019 my old gunrunning buddy talked me into going to a gun show where I immediately sold my only two S&W revolvers (at an obscene profit I might add)...I regretted giving up those two guns instantly, but the cash felt good in my pocket at the time...

Today of those original seven, I still have a Remington 870 shotgun...I found a new home for my unfired NIB Colt AR-15 last month at another considerable monetary gain...But scratching the S&W revolver itch became a growing compulsion to the point where I have bought or traded for 230 of them since then, of which I still have somewhere between 100 and 110...I have fun displaying them strictly as a collector at the local Conroe gun shows...Inevitably I get slick-talked out of a few every time in either trades or offers of obscene amounts of the filthy lucre...In those cases I'm forced to go hunt down replacements, but that's just part of the fun...

So go ahead and sell your collection, Dave, just don't expect the itch to go away permanently as you'll find carrying around those bags of loot can be a burden themselves...
    I don't believe I ever heard that term before
    There is also the iteration of tempus fugit common to the Bronx area of NY brought over by Italian immigrants commonly pronounced as tempus fugitaboutit...I know, booo - hisss......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

----the thought of being without any guns is just now starting to sink in

They have been such an important part of my life that going cold turkey is scary to me at this moment!.....
    No way I could give up my guns. Not in this lifetime! I'm leaving them all to my brother to do with as he chooses after my passing. I probably either won't need them then, or they will hand out something better in whatever life comes next.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Some will not be sold but gifted to family, but they are all in the category of shooters. Many were bought as investments and I want to get them into hands of people who can appropriately respect them-----I'm sure that will be the case because they are going to have to belly up to buy any of them.

As I was going through the guns with the gentlemen from the auction company I became aware that more of my hunting guns had been "gifted" than I was aware of

Strangely, I also found one that I could not explain. It is a Marlin 45/70. One of my sons solved that mystery----it belongs to one of his friends and he brought it to me to fix an ejector problem I also have an Ithaca pump sitting in the corner of the shop that I did a repair on and the owner never picked it up! I will get that back to them---I hope they remember it is theirs
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Hoping all goes well with the wife's procedure.

It's tough thinking about what you should or shouldn't do in the future. We all come to it one way or the other.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

No gun safe here, but I also have a bunch of shop tools to eventually git rid of. A Bridgeport mill, Harrison lathe, Hobart heliarc welder with argon tank, oxy-acetylene torch and tanks, grinders, sanders, and several big tool chests full of Snap-on and others. I collected tools like some of you collected guns. For example in the "hammer" drawer of one of my tool chests are 22 hammers of different types.

Thing is I occasionally still use some of them, never know what's going to break next around the house.

Like the oxy torch, I might use it once a year but when you need one nothing else will do.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

I'm thinking about selling the Presidential Palace in Aruba......

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    "We are now challenged by steps that I never even considered back then."
    - Dave

Yep, Wifey and I are dancing to the same song. After 35 years, we are still in our starter home.

Tempus fugit.

Hunter
    i started working constuction 30 some years ago. when i was in my mid 30's i designed the house i want to live in. it is a ranch with a full basment, the only stairs in it go from the living floor to the basment. after working in 4 and 5 story mansions, i have grown to dislike steps.

best of luck to you dave!
    it's time to change the air in my head

Dave , An age/illness mandated living adjustment can, at times , be a very difficult thing to adjust to . From your descriptions of your current home , i'm sure it will be in some way traumatic .
    I only hope that the procedure your wife has to endure will ease the pain and difficulties she now has . I also hope you can find a house which will become a home with a bit of free space for you to enjoy.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

My wife had the procedure today. I thought she would see the impact immediately----but no---it can take up to six weeks They are putting off doing the other side until they see the results from today's procedure. The doctor did say that the nerves will regenerate over time but they can repeat this procedure when they do. I am hopeful.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 04-28-2022 at 06:50 PM.

I hope everything works out. Just in way of encouragement:

I had two lumbar microdiscectomies and each time, it took several weeks of PT to figure out where we stood with respect to success or failure. Give it time. It is hard, I know.

My wife's spin looks like a zipper her fusions begin in her neck and end at L2 or 3. She has had an implanted electric stimulator, which they had to take back out because they could not do MRIs. Last year alone she had 3 surgeries. I am not sure I could do what she has done and she refuses to take any of the codeine drugs.
    I pray that she finds some level of relief and is able to walk with only a cane.
    If I had continued to work I would have to have someone here with her.

...she refuses to take any of the codeine drugs.
    I envy her strength. My wifey does the same thing. Not me - life without opiates would not be life at all.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

opiates
    That's the word I was looking for

Hey Dave wouldn't moving into the cottage while you got all the hurtful worrisome stuff done at your original home help the adjustment so to speak, you'd still have some comfort in the surroundings and maybe give you more time. Just a thought, I'm sure you've been over that a few times.
    This is your mind on drugs!