Thread: Keeping up with the Jan 6th Committee

Keeping up with the Jan 6th Committee

Very sad----these are our "public servants":

........2,319 text messages from the files Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows turned over to the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol before he changed his mind and stopped cooperating.
    Shockingly, these are the messages Meadows thought were okay to share. He held back more than 1,000, including all of them from December 9 to December 20, on the grounds that they should be protected for one reason or another. You have to wonder what was in them, considering what was in the ones he surrendered.
    The first thing that jumps out from today’s messages is how thoroughly Fox News Channel personality Sean Hannity was working for Trump, rather than acting the part of an impartial news reporter. On Election Day, November 3, 2020, Meadows told Hannity to stress to voters they needed to get out and support Trump. “Yes sir,” Hannity answered. “On it. Any place in particular we need a push?” Meadows answered: “Pennsylvania. NC AZ… Nevada.” “Got it,” Hannity answered. “Everywhere.” There is now some muttering that the Trump campaign should have listed the free advertising from the Fox News Channel as a campaign contribution, since it was clear that Hannity’s shows were advertisements, and that “in-kind” donations are subject to federal regulation.
    The second thing that jumps out is how determined Trump Republicans were to believe that Trump could not possibly have lost the election. The day after the election, the Trump team was already working state officials to skew the vote counts, but as early as November 6, Trump advisor Jason Miller texted evidence that debunked the idea that the election was stolen, and he would continue to do so. Meadows agreed that there was no evidence to match the extreme claims of Trump lawyer Sidney Powell; Jared Kushner sent an article debunking the story of suitcases full of ballots in Georgia. We know from other exchanges that Senator Mike Lee (R-UT) and Representative Chip Roy (R-TX) came to recognize that the election had not been stolen.
    And yet, Trump supporters, especially MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell, continued to send Meadows stories about a stolen election; Lindell believed that God was directing Trump’s reelection. By November 7, former energy secretary Rick Perry was on board with the idea that the election had been fraudulent. By November 19, 2020, Meadows was trying to set up a call with Georgia secretary of state Brad Raffensperger—this would end up being the hour-long phone call between Raffensperger and Trump on January 2, 2021, that Raffensperger recorded. In it, Trump urged Raffensperger to “find 11,780 votes” in Georgia—one more than Trump needed to win the state.
    As early as November 6, a scheme to keep Trump in power despite the will of the voters was underway. To be clear, this means that elected representatives and appointed members of our government were actively working to end our democracy. More than 40 current and past members of Congress are in the records, including Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Representative Mo Brooks (R-AL), Donald Trump, Jr., and Rick Perry. Representative Jim Jordan (R-OH) was also a key player.
    Representative Andy Biggs (R-AZ) suggested getting Republican state legislatures to appoint electors* for Trump rather than Biden. Meadows answered: “I love it.” Representative Scott Perry (R-PA) texted on December 26: “Mark, just checking in as time continues to count down. 11 days to 1/6 and 25 days to inauguration. We gotta get going!” On January 5, Jim Jordan said that Vice President Mike Pence should refuse to accept all electoral votes he thought were unconstitutional. Meadows responded: “I have pushed for this. Not sure it’s going to happen.”
    When the MAGA crowd turned violent on January 6, supporters begged Trump to call them off, suggesting they knew full well who was rioting and who was behind those riots. And yet, hours later, Jason Miller proposed lying to the American people by changing the story altogether, blaming “Antifa” for the violence of the Trump supporters at the Capitol. He added that Trump should tweet, “The fake news media who encouraged this summer's violent and radical riots are now trying to blame peaceful and innocent MAGA supporters for violent actions. This isn't who we are!” Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) also tried to argue that the attackers were “Antifa. Dressed like Trump supporters.” So did Louie Gohmert (R-TX).
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I never got past:
    The first thing that jumps out from today’s messages is how thoroughly Fox News Channel personality Sean Hannity was working for Trump, rather than acting the part of an impartial news reporter.
    Every village idiot knows Hannity is a political commentator, not a news reporter.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

It reads like a page out of a Russian disinformation/provocation campaign for a coup attempt.

1) Create a false narrative - "the election was stolen"

2) Get a group of people to spread this narrative - Republican politicians at all levels of government

3) Infiltrate government law enforcement - put your own guy in charge of investigating the false narrative (Clark)

4) Exert pressure all through the system to see if a crack can develop to worm into - state election officials getting death threats, alternate electors claiming legitimacy, state legislators overturning votes

5) A violent incident, blamed on a scapegoat - the Insurrection, with Greene/Gohmert/Gaetz/Boebert spreading conspiracy theories about Antifa dressed up like Trump supporters.

6) A government takeover - martial law, declared in response to a situation created by Republicans, allows the President to stay in power.

It was a coup attempt which only failed at the very last step. This was a deliberate attempt by elements in the Republican Party to take over our government. What horrifies me is just how many people were absolutely willing to do whatever it took to keep Trump in power. The people involved in this are not Americans in my mind. They are traitors. Evil people who were just fine with a coup if it meant their group stayed in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I never got past:

Every village idiot knows Hannity is a political commentator, not a news reporter.
    I agree---that is a bit silly----but I tend to ignore the obvious
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It was a coup attempt which only failed at the very last step. This was a deliberate attempt by elements in the Republican Party to take over our government. What horrifies me is just how many people were absolutely willing to do whatever it took to keep Trump in power. The people involved in this are not Americans in my mind. They are traitors. Evil people who were just fine with a coup if it meant their group stayed in power.
    With great sadness, I can do no more than agree entirely with your sentiments

I too have pointed out I'm tired of voting against people in elections. Yet, I cannot see where a strong and viable Independent will arise before the next election.

My friends, we be screwed.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Trump lost the popular vote twice, lost the House and Senate and White House yet 520 something days is still whining about a stolen election but nothing as surfaced to support that.

And to some he is still relevant.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'