Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get checked!

Get checked!

I just had two growths on my left leg biopsied. They are about the size of a silver dollar. One has been done previously by another dermatologist and one is "new". The results came back today and both are benign but they will begin removal next week.

This is a new dermatologist for me and when I was there last week he said that he wanted to do a full body exam ()----and added that he could see looking at my head that I had a lot of sun damage---but I have no idea what made him say that.

In any event---not to sound like a new convert---but all of us should make a visit to a dermatologist a periodic norm.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 03-15-2022 at 09:00 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Thursday morning..

Have some hunks missing from my ear.. every six months I walk around with several little round band aids on my face.. Dermatologist is Woman, my daughters age..

My old doc was Eastern European, old Soviet Block med school.. he would lop of hunks with a double edge razor blade, I learned to trust the local anesthetic.. he would hold the razor blade (by the dull ends) between his thumb and index finger bowing the bad then just scoop out the bad hunks..

Had an eastern block trained PT after my knee replacement, Veronika.. wowzers, she could get results! But that’s a whole nuther story

I’m married to a nurse.. buy new skivies for the “full body”…. Just trust me, wear new skivies..

I did have a full body exam some years ago---they froze off probably half a dozen things on my head, most on top of my head.

Not sure I would have kept going back to "Igor" if that had been me
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Doctor Illya Kuryakin.. he looked like the actor David McCallum.. The disagreement was about a "thing" on my nose that was bothered by my glasses.. he insisted it was nothing, i wanted it gone from under my glasses.

my current Dermo froze the offending "thing" and life is good.. She handles the liquid nitrogen dispenser very well and very frequently..

Just love the freezing. Last one I went to said it wasn't covered by Medicare though.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

The biopsies came back and both at benign

Monday I go back to find out what they recommend---I'd like to have them gone.

The "official" finding said that they were "precancerous". I had to consult my in house medical professional as to the meaning of that term---and as I expected I got what I am sure is the standard answer. So then I asked if all benign tissue is not precancerous by definition----- I don't recall her answer

I suppose the salami and cheese sandwich I just finished could also be pre-cancerous since to my knowledge it has not become a tomor......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Congratulations.. (on passing your test)..

Had my semiannual check today.. liquid nitrogen was flying.. good for another six months..

Note: if you hadn’t gone to the dermatologist, in 10 years we could see you on Dr Pimple Popper..

One of the few things that I can imagine more rude than a TV program entitled "Dr Pimple Popper" would be to watch a program entitled "Dr. Pimple Popper"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ...a TV program entitled "Dr Pimple Popper"...
    If this is what passes as entertainment today, I'm doubly glad that I gave up TV long ago......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I read an article about that pimple popping show. The network did some analysis and came to the conclusion that a large segment of the population gets some kind of satisfaction from watching those procedures. To me that would be a sordid satisfaction. My only thought about that show would be it sounds gross and can only be gross. Each his own.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    One of the few things that I can imagine more rude than a TV program entitled "Dr Pimple Popper" would be to watch a program entitled "Dr. Pimple Popper"
    You forgot being on Dr Pimple Popper..

There are some who are desperate to find a cure to a horrible connection.. the majority are there because they haven’t been to the doctor in 20 years…

Ben, you would love her..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Ben, you would love her..
    The host is a woman?...Maybe when I was 14 and had a pizza face...I'll take a pass for now......Ben

My brother-in-law should be a poster child for this thread. He worked his arse off for the Highway Patrol and retired with full benefits. But, he wouldn't get a colonoscopy. Fate was listening and his colon cancer metastasized - killing him within 5 years.

Get checked out, my friends. I've had 3 colonoscopies. It ain't no party - but it's a life.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Update----I had my four week follow-up this week. Most spots look good, including the one on my shin which is healing over.
    The big one on the back of my calf---not so much. It had a very thick crust on it and that apparently acted as an insulator and not much happened.

So---I had picked off the crust to give the Dr a better shot---which he happily took and I think he got it this time--so I am good for 6 weeks when I go back again, hopefully for the last follow-up.

He did re-shoot a couple of places on my face as well.