Thread: In praise of Cod

In praise of Cod

We eat a lot of sea food. That includes a broad variety of fish (both salt water and fresh water), as well as shell fish.

I do not buy farm raised fish at all, I do buy farm raised shell fish. The cultivation of shell fish yields a product not unlike the wild variety---they live in the same water and have the same diet.

Of all the varieties of fish, cod has become our most common and highly enjoyed. Not many years ago cod were threatened and commercial fishing for them in the north Atlantic was closed, but today they are making an excellent come back.

The versatility is tremendous. The Portuguese who hold a special place for salt cod (bacalao) have a saying that they can have cod everyday of the year and never repeat the same recipe.

It is also economical---here I pay less than $8.00/lb for fresh cod.

The most common way to prepare it is extremely simple: I make a "sauce" of butter and lemon juice (1/2 lemon) and let it thicken a bit. I put a little on the pan where the fish will be placed---then into the oven at 400 F for about 10 min/inch of thickness. That happens to be a general rule for baking fish.

Last night I did it in the air fryer (convection oven) for about 7 minutes at 400 F and it was perfect, flaky and very moist, better than the conventional oven

After plating I spoon the remaining sauce over the top of the filets and serve it with a piece of lemon (the rest of the lemon that I used in the sauce.

I hope you give it a try
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I have a hard time eating sea food when i can't see the ocean.... But I love it. Just got back from San Diego and ate my fill... Kona in 3 weeks and plan to do the same.

On occasion I'll buy a filet of Salmon from my butcher and grill it on a plank or poach it in milk and dill.... Not cheap in the desert though.

Enjoy, you will have a vast selection there
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis