Thread: University Of Washington Should Lose Its Accreditation

University Of Washington Should Lose Its Accreditation

Here is another example of an institution of higher learning that has lost its way. Like totally, dude!

In a show of solidarity, I plan to ban all IP addresses owned by the University of Washington to insure that no one there is offended by our discussions. I will impose the ban at the system level so that these idiots cannot even read the site from a University of Washington network. That'll teach them!

A University of Washington language guide is calling everyday words used by Americans "problematic."

The University of Washington Information Technology department released an "inclusive language guide" that lists a number of "problematic words" that are "racist," "sexist," "ageist," or "homophobic."

According to the guide, words such as "grandfather," "housekeeping," "minority," "ninja," and "lame" are considered "problematic words."

For example, the language guide states that the word "lame" is considered problematic because it's "ableist."

"This word is offensive, even when it’s used in slang for uncool because it’s using a disability in a negative way to imply that the opposite, which would be not lame, to be superior," the guide states.

The guide also states that the term "minority" implies a ‘less than’ attitude toward a certain community.

"When ‘minority’ is used to refer to other races or abilities, used as a generalized term for ‘the other’ and implies a ‘less than’ attitude toward the community or communities being discussed," the guide states.

The guide considers "grandfather" a "problematic word" because the term was "used as a way to exempt some people from a change because of conditions that existed before the change."

[snip]

Employees within the University of Washington Information Technology department are also encouraged to contact vendors who use the "problematic words and phrases" and ask them to avoid terms that come from "racist, ableist and/or sexist origins."

The webpage gives a sample prompt for employees to use when sending emails to vendors about this issue as well.

"Unfortunately, in working with your product/service we have identified language that can be considered offensive due to its racist, ableist and/or sexist origins," the email prompt states. "Can you let us know what efforts you are undertaking to move away from this language so as to create a more inclusive product/service?"
    SOURCE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

My shame has reached unheard of new levels as I now realize the consternation I've caused these fine young minds as they study to better the lives of unborn generations......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I guess that my previous statement about RFK Jr will send me to time out
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    A part of my youth was stolen from me.. used to sing this song s a kid.. now, I can’t sing it in public.. one of the many words stolen from me..

When you're with the Flintstones
    Have a yabba dabba doo time, a dabba doo time
    We'll have a gay old time

IMHO.. Oh.. back on subject.. those University of Washington people need to fix something that is broken.. not something that is isn’t.. an ingenious solution to a nonexistent problem..
    We'll have a gay old time

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    My shame has reached unheard of new levels as I now realize the consternation I've caused these fine young minds as they study to better the lives of unborn generations......Ben
    When you arrive at an appropriate penance Ben please let me know, I should probably join you---in the meantime I am feeling tremendous unmitigated regret
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I guess I'm in that lame minority that liked my grandfather and enjoys ninja movies
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

To be truly woke you have to believe that two wrongs can make a right--Sean Lennon (son of John Lennon)
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.