Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pace begins to pick up

The pace begins to pick up

From the WSJ:

WASHINGTON—Eleven people including Stewart Rhodes, the leader and founder of the right-wing militia group the Oath Keepers, have been indicted on charges of seditious conspiracy, marking an escalation of the Justice Department’s investigation into the attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 last year.

An indictment unsealed Thursday accused Mr. Rhodes, 56 years old, of organizing an armed plot to storm the Capitol and stop the certification of President Biden’s election victory, and bringing paramilitary gear and weapons to support the attack.

The case marks the first time the Justice Department has filed charges of sedition in connection with the attack and comes days after Attorney General Merrick Garland promised that prosecutors would charge anyone responsible for the Capitol riot “at any level,” not just those who breached the building. Mr. Rhodes didn’t enter the building that day, but prosecutors said he directed his followers there, setting in motion the violence.

His lawyer, Jonathon Moseley, said he was on the phone with Mr. Rhodes Thursday afternoon when agents showed up at his client’s home in Granbury, Texas.

Prosecutors described the 10 other people indicted on seditious conspiracy and other charges as affiliated with the Oath Keepers. Counting Thursday’s indictment, more than three dozen members or affiliates of the Oath Keepers and another far-right group, the Proud Boys, have been arrested in connection with the attack on the Capitol. The Justice Department has charged more than 725 people in the attack to date.
    filed charges of sedition
    Excellent

I guess the story of them being tourists out for a stroll through the Capital isn't playing well, hey
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Mr. Rhodes didn’t enter the building that day, but prosecutors said he directed his followers there, setting in motion the violence.
    Hmm, who was it that directed the whole damn crowd to go there? I wonder if he will be tried for sedition??? If so, they could do a plea deal in exchange for him moving to Elba.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

What an idea----I'll charter the boat
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Maybe he should practice keeping one hand tucked in his coat so he won't feel out of step with the previous occupant......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    What an idea----I'll charter the boat
    I'll captain it...

Cool, can nurse Paula come along?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Cool, can nurse Paula come along?
    Of course she can - she's the First Mate!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Excellent

Get it done, get it done legally, make a decision punish those responsible and let's move on from this dark moment. Don't politicize this commission. I'm not optimistic.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Of course she can - she's the First Mate!
    Gilligan might be very upset about that......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The indirect references to the man defeated at Waterloo hit the mark. For, we avoided supporting a modern-day wanna-be dictator.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Gilligan might be very upset about that......Ben
    Doesn't much matter. If Phillbo is going to captain the boat Nurse Paula is his first mate. And, y'all missed my latest pun!

Doesn't much matter. If Phillbo is going to captain the boat Nurse Paula is his first mate.
    At least I get to pet Gilligan once in a blue moon...Hasn't happened with Nurse Paula......
    And, y'all missed my latest pun!
    Probably too subtle...Subtlety is wasted on us cretins......Ben

Some of my favorite folks

WASHINGTON — The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol on Tuesday subpoenaed Rudolph W. Giuliani and other members of the legal team that pursued a set of conspiracy-filled lawsuits on behalf of former President Donald J. Trump in which they made unsubstantiated claims of fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

In addition to Mr. Giuliani, Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer and a ringleader of the group, the panel subpoenaed three others who played central roles in his effort to use the courts, state legislatures and Congress to try to overturn his defeat.

Jenna Ellis drafted a memo on how Mr. Trump could invalidate the election results by exploiting an obscure law. Sidney Powell, a lawyer who worked on many of the lawsuits with Mr. Giuliani, ran an organization that raised millions of dollars based on false claims that election machines were rigged. Boris Epshteyn pursued allegations of election fraud in Nevada and Arizona and is said to have participated in a call with Mr. Trump on the morning of Jan. 6, “during which options were discussed to delay the certification of election results,” the committee said.

“The four individuals we’ve subpoenaed today advanced unsupported theories about election fraud, pushed efforts to overturn the election results or were in direct contact with the former president about attempts to stop the counting of electoral votes,” Representative Bennie Thompson, Democrat of Mississippi and the chairman of the committee, said in a statement.

The subpoena to Mr. Giuliani, obtained by The New York Times, seeks all documents he has detailing the pressure campaign he and other Trump allies initiated targeting state officials; the seizure of voting machines; contact with members of Congress; any evidence to support the bizarre conspiracy theories pushed; and any arrangements for his attorney’s fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    At least I get to pet Gilligan once in a blue moon...Hasn't happened with Nurse Paula......
    Bring enough ice cream for the trip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	332685_692fab315783a60dfa10581a820e1959.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	38544