Thread: My not so scientific covid observation

My not so scientific covid observation

Recently, myself, my wife, one of my daughters, both of my sons along with a close family friend all tested positive for covid. This all began last Sunday the 9th. The close family friend whom we had been in contact with let us know that she had tested positive for covid. My wife and I began to feel like something was wrong we both tested and it was positive. Soon thereafter my daughter who lives with us tested positive, my son who lives with us tested positive and my older son who had visited to watch the Alabama game tested positive. My wife and both of my sons are double vaccinated. My daughter and the family friend are not vaccinated. I am double vaccinated and boosted.

The symptoms. In all cases the symptoms were nearly identical. Heavy nasal congestion, mild to moderate chest congestion, minor aches and pains, and low grade headache in some of the individuals. We all had a cough and scratchy throat. A couple of people did have a very minor fever for a very short period, not enough to where I would say it was significant. None of us experienced any low oxygen at any time. We were checking all of us frequently within an oximeter. There was some inability to sleep the first day or two. After that it was not a problem. There was no loss of appetite among any of the infected individuals.

Duration. The symptoms lasted between 5 and 6 days. After that they began to clear but somewhat lingered. As of today we all have very minor nasal congestion but no other symptoms.

Assumption. We all had the omicron variant since it is the predominant strain in this area and 95% of all cases in the US.

The positive. None of us were really very sick. While we didn't feel good we could have gone about any of our normal activities if it had been absolutely necessary.

Conclusions. Omicron is very contagious. The vaccination is not effective in preventing or mitgating the omicron variant of covid-19. Both the vaccinated and unvaccinated people that I've spoken of had, as I stated ,
    nearly identical symptoms and nearly identical duration. Omicron is frankly like a bad cold.

Sorry if anything I have mentioned was already known but I am giving my personal observation.

Result. I have a terrible case of cabin fever and therefore I'm headed out in the morning to my place in the mountains to enjoy some fresh air.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

It's good to know you're feeling better, Tom, along with your family...Stay safe......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I just went through the same experience. Strange though, Nurse Paula did not get sick. I was not tested but assume it was the vid.

My Father and his Wife have it now. We need everyone to get it so it will mutate to a lesser evil and become like the ordinary flu.....

Glad to hear this seems to be behind you .

Just one comment, what you and your family experienced should not be extrapolated to what others might expect.

In the terms of a statistician your family's experience is statistically insignificant.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Thank you for your response Dave. I think it's pretty much widely understood that the vaccine is ineffective against omicron.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

The operative word is "effective ".

You have no idea of what the potential severity might have been had you not been vaccinated.

Added in edit:

This is just one of many articles on this issue---you can find many more.

There are also some interesting graphs that I will post latter showing the effectiveness of the vaccines on OMICRON.

As promised:

Some of the timeliest data on Covid-19 outcomes by vaccination status comes from New York City and the Seattle area, and the two are telling a consistent story.

Cases for vaccinated and unvaccinated residents alike are rising:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	38551

Data is age adjusted. Recent data may be incomplete.
    Data is age adjusted. Recent data may be incomplete.Credit...Sources: New York City Department of Health, Washington Department of Health
    They’re rising because vaccination often does not prevent infection from the Omicron variant. It reduces the chances substantially — as you can see above — but vaccinated people still face a meaningful chance of infection.

What vaccination does is radically reduce the chance of severe Covid illness. Look how different these charts on hospitalizations looks from the previous charts on cases:

Name:	Capturea.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	38552

Data is age adjusted. Recent data may be incomplete.Credit...Sources: New York City Department of Health, Washington Department of Health
    (The number of Americans hospitalized with Covid has surpassed last winter’s peak.)

Some experts believe that the hospitalization gap between the vaccinated and unvaccinated is even larger than these charts suggest. The official data on Covid hospitalizations includes many people who are hospitalized for other reasons — say, a heart condition or a bicycle crash — and who test positive for the virus while being treated.

About one-third of Covid hospitalizations fall into this category, according to a recent analysis at the University of California, San Francisco. In New York State, 43 percent of people hospitalized with Covid were admitted for other reasons.

It’s true that some of these incidental Covid hospitalizations still cause problems. The virus can harm people whose bodies are weakened by other medical conditions, and all Covid cases put added stress on hospitals, because patients must be isolated. (“Hospitals are in serious trouble,” Ed Yong writes in The Atlantic.)

Still, many incidental Covid cases in hospitals do not present much risk to the infected person. And Omicron is so contagious that it has infected many vaccinated people, likely inflating the hospitalization numbers more than previous variants have.

The death gap

The data on deaths from New York and Seattle underscores the relatively low risks for vaccinated people. These numbers show a starker gap between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated than the hospitalization data:

Name:	Captureb.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	38553

One caveat is death trends tend to lag case trends by about three weeks. In coming weeks, deaths among the vaccinated will almost certainly rise, given how sharply cases have risen. These deaths will likely be concentrated among people in vulnerable health, including the elderly and those with a serious underlying medical condition like a previous organ transplant — especially if they’re not boosted.

This likelihood — along with the problem of overwhelmed hospitals — is one of the strongest arguments for taking steps to reduce the size of the current Omicron wave. More vaccine mandates and indoor mask wearing can help reduce cases and, by extension, deaths, experts say.

But the early data raises the possibility that the increase in deaths among the vaccinated will remain relatively modest. The gap in the mortality charts above can’t merely be a reflection of the lag between the cases and deaths. After all, deaths among unvaccinated New Yorkers and Seattleites had already begun to surge in December. Deaths among the vaccinated had not.

The bottom line
    Vaccination remains highly effective at preventing severe Covid illnesses. And Omicron is milder than earlier versions of the virus. The combination means that most Americans — including children and vaccinated adults — face little personal risk from Omicron.

The risk is not zero, to be clear, even among people who are generally healthy. But it is very small. Every day, people live with small risks, be they from the seasonal flu and other illnesses or from riding in a vehicle, playing sports or other activities.

For the unvaccinated, the situation is very different. Omicron is still severe enough that it will lead to debilitating illness and death for many unvaccinated people. In much of the U.S., a large number of adults — including older adults — remain unvaccinated:

Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-21-2022 at 09:28 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Glad that you & family are ok.. and your Covid experience had minimal discomfort..

I agree that the vaccine reaction to Omicron is different than it is to Delta. But, I also believe that the viruses effect on people can vary widely.. and the reasons for the widely different effects are widely different.. to some degree, we still don’t know what we don’t know..

In my non medical opinion.. when the “Covid planets align “ and the infected person is in queue for a most serious covid ass kicking that the vaccine will help the infected .. and minimize the illness..

Again so glad that your Covid experience was minimal..

On edit:
    Was thinking.. ya know that x10 years ago, I stuck my thumb into a spinning table saw blade.. the most painful part was the ER anesthesia injection into my thump joint and then dressing changes.. ten years later I have a little nerve damage giving me weird feeling in a 3/8 inch area over the scar.. so.. may I now say that sticking one’s thumb into a spinning table saw really isn’t all that bad?

Just a thought..

Scientific article about the omicron variant and vaccines. Some pretty interesting results.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2788485

Wife had the flu which is similiar to the virus but without being tested, as she was, one should not assume they got it. JMHO.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'