Thread: The C.D.C.’s New Challenge? Grappling With Imperfect Science

The C.D.C.’s New Challenge? Grappling With Imperfect Science

From this morning's NYT:

The Omicron coronavirus variant is moving much faster than researchers can, worsening a longstanding problem: The agency must make tough decisions with scant data.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was long revered for its methodical and meticulous scientific approach. Agencies in other nations modeled themselves after the world’s most highly regarded public health authority, even adopting the name.

At the outset of the pandemic, the C.D.C. moved at its accustomed pace. But this time, with a novel virus moving so quickly, the country paid a price: Testing and surveillance lagged as the agency tried to implement dated approaches with creaky infrastructure. Officials were late to recommend masking, in part because federal scientists took too long to recognize that the virus was airborne.

Now the contagious Omicron variant is pushing the C.D.C. into uncharted territory. Because decisions must be made at a breakneck pace, the agency has issued recommendations based on what once would have been considered insufficient evidence, amid growing public concern about how these guidelines affect the economy and education.
    Something we all need to keep in mind---and I recommend you read the entire article. The CDC and Dr. Fauci have been widely criticized for the "changing" message and vague responses---much of which is accurate but also a bit unfair. We are in new territory and trying to project a path forward without any real knowledge of what is ahead. It is a bit like driving a car by using a map that only shows where you were and not the roads ahead.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

First thing that needs to be done is to beef up the accuracy of the test / data...

I don't understand why people think the government should know everything there is to know about Covid-19. This is pure research we are witnessing as it unfolds. The scientists are giving us their best shots at protection and treatment as new information is discovered. Information that changes sometimes from day to day. What the scientists have done in such a short time is extraordinary!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I don't understand why people think the government should know everything there is to know about Covid-19. This is pure research we are witnessing as it unfolds. The scientists are giving us their best shots at protection and treatment as new information is discovered. Information that changes sometimes from day to day. What the scientists have done in such a short time is extraordinary!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I agree we should support our scientists and our medical professionals that are working tirelessly to protect us from this vicious virus. I don't appreciate politics being interjected into the process and I think that has caused some lack of credibility.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.