Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter solitude

-8 here this am, 24 now. snowing and blowing out there wind at 10mph currently
    it's time to change the air in my head

Some good news here. It warmed up overnight and changed to rain---it got into the high 30's and so no ice formed on trees and wires. Now it is back to 32 F, lightly snowing and what had become slush is now turning to ice

The local weather headline:

Storm isn’t over: Howling winds, rain, light snow on tap today
    No problem boss
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Some good news here. It warmed up overnight and changed to rain---it got into the high 30's and so no ice formed on trees and wires. Now it is back to 32 F, lightly snowing and what had become slush is now turning to ice

The local weather headline:

No problem boss
    Same here.. but a degree or two warmer.. heavy slush but melting.. 34-35 degrees and sunny.. can hear the dripping in downspouts

Forecast here is 64° and sunny today, and 41° and clear tonight...Currently outside the sun is bright...I'm indoors self-quarantining from mild symptoms Saturday night, feeling fine yesterday and today......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I hope all goes well for you Ben
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I hope all goes well for you Ben
    Thanks, youse guys in the frozen Northlands keep it safe and well......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

72* here......

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    72* here......
    Come back in July wise guy

Now where did I store my snow blower?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Now where did I store my snow blower?
    I'm not sure where it might be, but I can tell you where to put it once you find it

We have had more snow , 12+ inches, in January than the previous two winters combined..

But wait.. there is more..

Local weather says there are two different winter storms on two different forecasting “models”..
    One has us getting 3-6 inches on Thursday-Friday..
    The other has us getting 18 inches (a foot and a half, half of a yard) on Friday-Saturday..
    (This is an either/or with the two storms)

Both storms are tracking to Dave’s as they leave here..

Guess I’ll pick up another 10 gallons of generator gas in the morning..

And Bo.. when it comes to snowblowers, size matters.. mine sounds like an old Volkswagen..

Things are not good here currently, so mother nature's future surprises will have to wait.

My wife waved off the cleaning people for today---our lane is a sheet of ice

I hope we have either bright sun and/or a bit of warmth before the next round of snow---snow on top of ice can be the ultimate challenge

-snow on top of ice can be the ultimate challenge
    And the older the bones, the easier the possible damage in a fall......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    ...and that is an unfortunate truth

It might seem strange but my track tractors are worthless on ice of most any kind.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fd87bbe0.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	38538

The steel tracks cannot break through and simply slip with ease. The rubber tired tractors without chains are not much better.

I remember as a kid that I went to take a load of manure out to the field to spread, the ground was frozen hard and there was about 6" of snow on top. I hooked up the Cletrac (as above), thinking that was the smart ticket

I have to say that manure spreader had it's way with me

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    And when geezers go down we go down hard..

Several years ago, after driving the snowblower into the garage.. I turned to get something just outside the door.. I stepped onto black ice and went down.. fall was in slow motion and try as I may, i couldn't move fast enough to grab any support. I landed in the snow and my head landed on a plastic trash can lid (blown off of trash can) that was domed side up and acted like a pillow..

I attribute the pillow to karma.. because I'm such a nice guy

and my family are all city folk.. the only manure spreader that we were familiar with was my uncle.. he was such a great guy when we were kids, then we grew up and saw the unfortunate truth..