Thread: Last night's veggie

Last night's veggie

A new recipe

Belgium endive.

I simmered for 15 minutes in salted water with the juice of half a lemon, then drained them, wrapped them each in a slice of tavern ham, added mozzarella and tomato and popped in the over for about 10 minutes.

I should have popped them into my air fryer and browned the top but I already had the oven on.

Very simple, looks festive and I will certainly consider for a dinner party---and they tasted great

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-01-12 17.31.09a.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	485.9 KB 
ID:	38524
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That's a new food for me. I don't know that I have ever seen endives for sale.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

That is one of the reasons I posted this. At least around here, there are far fewer that have them than not.

I recently changed my "go to" grocery from in town and about 3 miles away to one that is about 10 miles away toward Philadelphia.

The difference is dramatic. This week in my cart were Kimchi, Pancetta , oyster mushrooms and fresh flounder fillets. None of which would have been available at my previous grocery.

As an added bonus and important to me is that the produce department is huge with a tremendous selection---all very fresh.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I am accustomed to huge mega grocery stores in Houston. I used Google to determine store sizes and the Kroger I shopped at was a little over 90,000 square feet and there are larger stores. Stores that have the space to stock all sorts of foodstuffs from around the world. It was an adventure just to see things I had never heard of.

Since moving to the country, my grocery shopping sucks. The nearest store is about 8 miles away and is about 20,000 square feet according to Google. This store has most of the basics, very little meat, and that's it.

The next closest store is a Kroger located about 15 miles away. Google pegs it at 41,000 square feet. This is the store I use most often because it has more stuff. It is nothing compared to my Houston Kroger.

The largest grocery in the area is still only 47,000 square feet and 26 miles away. Drive time is 35 minutes. Hardly worth the drive but I will sometimes stop in if I am in the area anyway.

So, my largest store is still only about half the size of what I am accustomed to. I stock up on things not available here when I go to Houston.

In 1989, Russian President Boris Yeltsin was in Houston to visit NASA. His entourage made an unplanned side trip to a local grocery which amazed him. Remember, the size of grocery stores in Houston have easily doubled since 1989.

Yeltsin, then 58, "roamed the aisles of Randall's nodding his head in amazement," wrote Asin. He told his fellow Russians in his entourage that if their people, who often must wait in line for most goods, saw the conditions of U.S. supermarkets, "there would be a revolution."
    [snip]
    "Even the Politburo doesn't have this choice. Not even Mr. Gorbachev," he said. When he was told through his interpreter that there were thousands of items in the store for sale he didn't believe it. He had even thought that the store was staged, a show for him. Little did he know there countless stores just like it all over the country, some with even more things than the Randall's he visited.

The fact that stores like these were on nearly every street corner in America amazed him.
    ARTICLE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Earlier this week I completed a survey for our previous "go to" grocery.

This morning I got a call from the manager, it went a long way to explain why that store has deteriorated as badly as it has. She had no interest in learning more about my dissatisfaction, her entire propose was to tell me how wrong I was and how they were a victim of the "system".

I had described the manager of their seafood department as "mechanical" in his responses to questions---she accused me of calling him names

It was a waste of my time---but I did get a good insight into why that store has become what it has

I just checked, my new go to, is 55,000 sq ft., just slightly larger than my previous one at 54,000 sq ft.