Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Out My Bedroom Window This Afternoon

Photo Out My Bedroom Window This Afternoon

Very cool bird about 400 feet away. All I had was my cellphone to take the pic.

The neighbors have told me for two years that there was one living in the area. This is the first time I've seen it. Click to enlarge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	38522
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Is that an eagle?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Is that an eagle?......Ben
    Bald Eagle. Cell phones don't zoom well.......

I was looking out the window to see if the 3 Canadian Geese that winter here were visible. They like the pond behind the eagle. They make a hell of a racket as they come and go several times a day.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

You can click on the picture several times to enlarge it quite a bit.

Very nice
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

We now have two pairs a few miles away nesting near a large reservoir and one of their preferred perches is on a cell tower, I still get excited every time I see them
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

There's nothing more American than a bald eagle.

https://fb.watch/avfuaAHuSv/
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    There's nothing more American than a bald eagle.
    Dead on, my friend.

Wifey and I went to an island off of Alaska during the Spring. We were surprised to see about 500 bald eagles in trees on the shoreline. Occasionally, one of them would fly out and nab a fish out of the sea. The only other time I've seen a bald eagle was at Hogle Zoo, where they throw into their cage a dead rabbit each week. The eagles were found out in the wild with injuries and the zoo rehabilitated them.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Stoneman Crater, just south of Mormon Lake in AZ is a great spot to winter watch Bald Eagles. We took my Land Cruiser u there and saw over 100 adults and Juvenile Bald Eagles flying around the crater
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

The eagle was back this morning, flying laps around the ponds and the nearby area. It finally landed as sat in a tree overlooking the ponds.

I was outside and it flew directly over me at low altitude twice. I was a bit worried about my dogs so I stayed close to them.

As an indication as to how low this eagle flew over me, if I had been dove hunting I would have easily taken the dove. This eagle seems fairly fearless of people.

In my experience, they do not see humans as a big threat---however, be careful, they do see little dogs as lunch

Just as a bit of trivia, I do not believe that a bald eagle has ever killed a man---however, the same cannot be said for the great horned owl---the only bird known to have killed a man.

I also had a "memorable moment" courtesy of a great horned owl. Years ago we had a nest down in the corner of our woods near the stream. It was winter, snow on the ground, no wind, cold with a high cloud cover. I was kneeled down looking at something in the field when I saw a shadow pass over me---silently---it was one of the adults on the way home and probably not more than 10' above the ground. To say that it startled me is an understatement. There was no sound when he went over me---a trait that I have read about and can now attest to.

I don't believe that I was in any danger----but it took a little bit for my system to reset to normal
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-13-2022 at 04:15 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

nice! there are 2 pairs that live near me and several others that live in a 5 mile radius. i am lucky enough to see baldies at least once a month. they do scare the crap out of my chickens when they fly over though.
    it's time to change the air in my head

What could be more embarrassing than telling your friends "Uncle Al was killed by an owl." I guess there are worse ways to go.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

It was a case of mistaken identity. The deceased was a game warden in Michigan's UP. It was snowing and he was wearing a hat made of rabbit fur. The owl came down on his head and the talons penetrated his skull at his temples.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    In my experience, they do not see humans as a big threat---however, be careful, they do see little dogs as lunch

Just as a bit of trivia, I do not believe that a bald eagle has ever killed a man---however, the same cannot be said for the great horned owl---the only bird known to have killed a man.

I also had a "memorable moment" courtesy of a great horned owl. Years ago we had a nest down in the corner of our woods near the stream. It was winter, snow on the ground, no wind, cold with a high cloud cover. I was kneeled down looking at something in the field when I saw a shadow pass over me---silently---it was one of the adults on the way home and probably not more than 10' above the ground. To say that it startled me is an understatement. There was no sound when he went over me---a trait that I have read about and can now attest to.

I don't believe that I was in any danger----but it took a little bit for my system to reset to normal

Had an owl living in a neighbors palm tree for a while. At sunset on his way out to hunt he would swoop my back yard. Probably a 6' wing span and silent.....