Thread: Robert Durst

Robert Durst

I'll offer no comment:

Robert A. Durst, the scion of a New York real estate dynasty whose life dissolved in a calamity of suspicions over the unsolved disappearance of his first wife, the execution-style murder of a longtime confidante and the killing and dismemberment of an elderly neighbor, died early Monday as a prisoner in Stockton, Calif. He was 78.

His lawyer Chip Lewis confirmed his death, at the San Joaquin General Hospital, where Mr. Durst had been taken for testing. He then went into cardiac arrest and could not be revived, Mr. Lewis said. Mr. Durst had been serving a life sentence at the California Health Care Facility in the killing of his longtime confidante Susan Berman.

He was convicted of the murder last September and shortly afterward tested positive for Covid-19 and was briefly put on a ventilator. Mr. Lewis said the virus had worsened a host of already existing medical problems.

In a story made for supermarket tabloids, Mr. Durst, a small, rail-thin man, was a cross-dressing fugitive from justice with $100 million in assets. On the run, he became a vagrant urinating in public, sometimes disguising himself as a mute woman. He beat his wife and forced her to have an abortion; beheaded a man he had killed as he sat in a pool of blood, and once wrote a “cadaver note,” telling the Los Angeles police where to find a woman who had been shot in the head. Distraught and alone in a bathroom, he unwittingly confessed to all the killings on a live recording used in a 2015 HBO mini-series about himself.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

No comment on Durst other than he was at best an enigma. He was often in the Houston area news.

I had a working relationship with his attorney, Chip Lewis, when he was an assistant district attorney in the '90s. He is a good guy even though he sometimes represents dirt bags.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Good riddance too late......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

"...he unwittingly confessed to all the killings on a live recording used in a 2015 HBO mini-series about himself."
    - Dave's text

I am not impressed with cons like this guy. He was not only a predator, he was stupid.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

A total waste of Oxygen and a drain on the taxpayers money to incarcerate him. good riddance and I hope he suffered right up to the end.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    "...he unwittingly confessed to all the killings on a live recording used in a 2015 HBO mini-series about himself."
    - Dave's text

I am not impressed with cons like this guy. He was not only a predator, he was stupid.

Hunter
    His family is very influential in NYC commercial real estate and holds major primary leases in the Freedom Tower. I suspect they are at very least relieved by this news. Beyond predator this guy was insane.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That's an excellent find, Dave. I did not know that about the Durst family.

Thank you.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

It isn't really a find, I have done a lot of work for the family.