Thread: State of the US

State of the US

I haven't been posting this of late---it isn't good:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	38515
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Lots of new cases with the Omicron Variant. However the vast majority of deaths and those in ICU are unvaccinated. Those that are vaccinated that then test positive seem for the most part to have very mild symptoms.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

My family members who were only marginally vaccinated have all recovered after a pretty miserable week at home .

Marginally because my 11 year old Granddaughter had only had her first shot and was in her waiting period. My son had not gotten a booster ( Pfizer ) and his wife had the J&J but no booster.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Good to know they have already recovered.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

My sister in law (3 shots) tested positive yesterday. Asymptomatic but she and her husband are self quarantining. I'm most worried about their son who is at home after his first round of chemo for Leukemia. He has had two shots and his booster is scheduled for tomorrow. Chemo make you immuno compromised.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Looks like that maskless trip to Florida has caught up to AOC, she has tested positive for covid. Hypocrisy does have it's rewards.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Yeah, my relatives are O.K., but a Nephew and his family got Covid. And, an ex-relative died of it - as his immunological system was weak because of being 300 lbs overweight. Would he have died anyway? Possibly.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Yea but she got it the old fashioned way, she worked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Yea but she got it the old fashioned way, she worked for it
    And since the virus planted the antibodies in her, it's guaranteed she'll never get it again......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I would never wish or hope for someone to get Covid-19, but some people are just too stupid not to get infected.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

One thing for sure covid is certainly non-partisan.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    The woman in the article did stick to her convictions..

Roseanne Barr is a very good comedian, at times.. but I never thought about taking life advice from Roseanne Barr..

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    And since the virus planted the antibodies in her, it's guaranteed she'll never get it again......Ben
    Yes.. she received some “killer” antibodies..

Today, 1/10/2022

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	38519

One of the things that the "government" health services have been criticized for is the apparent changes in the official message.

Well---I suggest those apparent changes are, to a very large degree, due to changes in the disease itself compounded by the increase in knowledge that we are achieving. The short span of history of these virus only serves to amplify these changes.

This piece speaks to these changes:

The number of hospitalized young children infected with the coronavirus rose precipitously last week to the highest levels since the beginning of the pandemic, according to data released on Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The increase was observed in children who were 4 and younger, who are not eligible for vaccination, and the data included children who were admitted to hospitals for reasons other than Covid.

The rise may be partly explained by the surge of Omicron cases, which affects all populations, and the spread of other respiratory infections.

But the data do not show a similar steep rise in coronavirus infections among hospitalized children of other ages, and federal health officials were considering the possibility that Omicron may not be as mild in young children as it is older children.

Children infected with the variant are still at much less risk of becoming severely ill compared with adults, and even young children seem less likely to need ventilators than those admitted during previous surges, doctors said.

“We have not yet seen a signal that there is any increased severity in this age demographic,” Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the C.D.C.’s director, told reporters at a news briefing on Friday.

More than four in 100,000 children ages 4 and younger admitted to hospitals were infected with the coronavirus as of Jan. 1 — double the rate reported a month ago and about three times the rate this time last year.

By contrast, the rate of hospitalized 5- to 11-year-olds with Covid was 0.6 per 100,000, roughly the same figure reported over past many months.

Dr. Walensky noted that only 16 percent of children from 5 to 11 had been fully vaccinated, and she urged everyone who was eligible for vaccines and boosters to receive them as soon as possible.

“Sadly, we are seeing the rates of hospitalizations increasing for children 0 to 4, who are not yet currently eligible for Covid-19 vaccination,” she said. “It’s critically important that we surround them with people who are vaccinated to provide them protection.”

The rise has been noticeable at a number of regional medical centers. The hospitalizations of young children now are “blowing away our previous Delta wave at the end of the summer, early fall, which had been our highest prior to that,” said Dr. Danielle Zerr, a pediatric infectious diseases expert at Seattle Children’s Hospital.

Experts are typically cautious about interpreting an increase in pediatric hospitalizations as a sign that a variant is particularly severe in children relative to adults. There were similar fears about the Delta and Beta variants, but the rise in pediatric hospitalizations then turned out to be more a consequence of the contagiousness of the variants.

This time, too, at least part of the increase in cases is a reflection of Omicron’s surge across all age groups. The nation is now recording roughly 600,000 cases on average per day, about one in five of them in children.

“The more kids that get infected, the more you’re going to have kids who are going to be sick enough to be hospitalized,” said Dr. Yvonne Maldonado, chair of the committee on infectious diseases at the American Academy of Pediatrics and a physician at Stanford University.