Thread: Madeleine K. Albright

Madeleine K. Albright

.........Madeleine K. Albright, whose parents were Czech refugees from the Nazis and the Communists, [passed] at 84. Albright served the United States as a diplomat and then as Secretary of State under President Bill Clinton, the first woman to serve in that role. Her most recent op-ed, published by the New York Times just a month ago, illustrated just how deeply she still engaged with the nation’s interests. She warned that invading Ukraine “would ensure Mr. Putin’s infamy by leaving his country diplomatically isolated, economically crippled and strategically vulnerable in the face of a stronger, more united Western alliance.”
    Her extraordinary career was a fitting backdrop today to Booker’s illumination of Judge Jackson. “The act of striving,” Albright once said, “is in itself the only way to keep faith with life.”
    I didn't always agree with her and often thought her biggest accomplishment was racking up "frequent flyer miles"---but she worked at it and probably deserved more credit than I gave her.

Rest in peace madam Secretary.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I don't think your assessment was too far off, Dave. She was the first woman to be Secretary of State, though, and being first in such a high-level position, with such responsibilities, is enough to make her noteworthy. I can only imagine the obstacles she had to overcome to get the job, let alone do it in a world that male-dominated. Being shown to be there by merit opened doors for others, so maybe her biggest accomplishment is that we no longer think of it as remarkable to see a woman in such a role.

She at least sized up Putin accurately from the first - cold, reptilian, embarrassed by the breakup of the Soviet Union and determined to restore it, which she predicted would be a historic mistake but that he would try. This was around the year 2000, so if nothing else, she knew the enemy and that, for me, counts. Obama could not say that.

Rest In Peace.

I feel the same way about her, gentlemen. But, looking back, her work and accomplishments clearly show she knew what she was doing. We need more civil servants like her.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead