Thread: Way too much sun!

Way too much sun!

Reps. Andy Biggs and Paul Gosar are the proud Putin wing of Arizona's GOP

Sun dried trash

Just when you thought Arizona Republican Reps. Paul Gosar and Andy Biggs could bring no greater disgrace to the GOP than their connection to the Big Lie and their alleged association with organizers of what became the Jan. 6 insurrection …

Stop.

I take that back.

If you’ve lived in Arizona for any amount of time and follow politics even a little you know that Gosar and Biggs are more than capable of bringing even greater ignominious disgrace to the GOP.

And they have, with recent actions placing them squarely in the forefront of what Republican Rep. Liz Cheney derisively calls the “Putin wing” of the Republican party.
    rinos on parade
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I don't recognize either name, but I'm suddenly glad I don't live in Arizona......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Dammit. I'm a self-admitted RINO and am proud of it. It's what many Liberals in Utah do to participate in election primaries. Legally, we can't vote in Republican primaries unless we register as Republicans. But, with 80% of our politicians being Republican, we do what we have to do to have a say in our politics.

Every boss I've had in the private sector and the public sector have been Republicans. They knew what I was, but simply hired me based upon my work background and not my political background. As I've noted before, our Democrats here work with the Republicans and are probably more conservative than most Republicans elsewhere.

You know I support most of your Liberal stances, Dave. That will not change. I am simply pointing out that all RINOs are not sun dried political liabilities.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    You know I support most of your Liberal stances, Dave. That will not change. I am simply pointing out that all RINOs are not sun dried political liabilities.

Hunter
    I have chosen to "flip" the rino label. Why should I allow these "new age" so called republicans to take "my" label and convert me to something I am not? Politically I embody what was and I continue to believe should typify the Republican Party. At this point, I find myself forced out of my life long home by a band of trespassers---but that does not grant them ownership and I yield no squatter's rights. trump and his cult might live in my house but that does not give them title to my name. Thus I have more appropriately applied the rino title to them.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Or you could do the Will Rogers take on things - "I'm not a member of any organized political party. I'm a Democrat."

....My guess is that the Arizonans who keep Biggs and Gosar in office speak of them as flag-waving, apple pie-eating patriots, ignoring the part about propping up Putin.

Which makes them more like Yankee Doodle ... comrades.
    Not in my jurisdiction so I can't vote them out.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Or you could do the Will Rogers take on things - "I'm not a member of any organized political party. I'm a Democrat."
    For the moment I will remain a "nothing".

I just read this---a clear affirmation of the "why" I want nothing to do with the trespassers in my house

Right on cue, Republican Senator Mike Braun of Indiana today told a reporter that states not only should decide the issue of abortion but should also be able to decide the issues of whether interracial marriage should be legal and whether couples should have access to contraception. He told a reporter: “Well, you can list a whole host of issues, when it comes down to whatever they are, I’m going to say that they’re not going to all make you happy within a given state, but we’re better off having states manifest their points of view rather than homogenizing it across the country as Roe v. Wade did.”
    Let me offer comment on just one part of that quote from Senator braun, the issue of interracial marriage. It deeply troubles me that a US Senator has either no understanding of or no regard for the Declaration of Independence, the 14th Amendment of the Constitution and a long legacy of rulings. Beyond his mindless position I cannot ignore the fact that there were sufficient people in Indiana (a state I could not wait to leave after four years) to elect him nor enough who cared to go vote against him. We are in a sad state when we allow the extremes of both sides to hold sway over reason.

And further to this issue, some do not allow the trumpers to hide out as extremists but rather brand the entire party with their fouled beliefs:

A full decade ago, in April 2012, respected scholars Thomas Mann, of the Brookings Institution, and Norm Ornstein, of the American Enterprise Institute, crunched the numbers and concluded: “The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition. When one party moves this far from the mainstream,” they wrote, “it makes it nearly impossible for the political system to deal constructively with the country’s challenges.”
    And yet, in the last decade, the party has moved even further to the right. Now it is not only calling for an end to the civil rights protections that undergird modern America, but also lining up behind a leader who tried to overthrow our democracy. A column by Jennifer Rubin in the Washington Post yesterday was titled: “Fringe Republicans are not the problem. It’s the party’s mainstream.”
    Rubin points out that Republicans refused to investigate the January 6 attack on the Capitol, refused to reauthorize the Voting Rights Act (which as recently as 2006 enjoyed overwhelming bipartisan support), and refused to impeach Trump for an attempt to overthrow our democracy. The party brought us to the brink of defaulting on the debt, and it tolerates white nationalists in its ranks.
    At the state level, prominent Republicans spread covid disinformation, suppress voting, and harass LGBTQ young people. To end abortion, certain Republican-dominated states are offering bounties to anyone reporting women seeking abortions beyond six weeks in a pregnancy. Worse, Rubin notes, “a law in Idaho would force rape victims to endure nine months of pregnancy—while allowing their rapists to collect a bounty for turning them in if they seek an abortion.”
    There is nothing there that I care to be part of.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 03-23-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Guess it is clear where all the state's rights Dixiecrats landed.

Wasn't the it the threat of a federal infringement on a state right that led to some kerfuffle around 1861 or so? And wasn't Indiana holding KKK marches in the 1920s? Some things never change.

Yep, that's the one...

Dixiecrat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixiecrat

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    For the moment I will remain a "nothing".

I just read this---a clear affirmation of the "why" I want nothing to do with the trespassers in my house

Let me offer comment on just one part of that quote from Senator braun, the issue of interracial marriage. It deeply troubles me that a US Senator has either no understanding of or no regard for the Declaration of Independence, the 14th Amendment of the Constitution and a long legacy of rulings. Beyond his mindless position I cannot ignore the fact that there were sufficient people in Indiana (a state I could not wait to leave after four years) to elect him nor enough who cared to go vote against him. We are in a sad state when we allow the extremes of both sides to hold sway over reason.

And further to this issue, some do not allow the trumpers to hide out as extremists but rather brand the entire party with their fouled beliefs:

There is nothing there that I care to be part of.
    Even more troubling than this rather obscure Hoosier saying these things, I recently read that former AG barr, while in office, possibly planted the seeds of this during a speech he gave at Notre Dame in South Bend Indiana.

barr has managed to turn himself into whale poop, IMHO.

I can take a solid stand upwind of whale poop, particularly if a Hoosier is between myself and the poop.

I think back to the thread title - we now see what Barr is when the light illuminates him.

Hunter