Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: State of the US

...and to that I will add this timely message:

David Leonhardt
    By David Leonhardt
    Jan. 10, 2022
    Updated 8:20 a.m. ET
    Jennifer Nuzzo is a health expert who has become nationally prominent during the pandemic. She is the leading epidemiologist for Johns Hopkins University’s much-cited data collection on Covid-19 testing. She is active on Twitter and quoted frequently in the media. She can explain complex ideas in clear terms, and she has often been prophetic about Covid.

Nonetheless, she took to Twitter last May to criticize herself. She had expected Texas’ ending of its mask mandate to lead to a surge in cases, and it had not:

Nuzzo’s small exercise in self accountability highlighted the inherent unpredictability of this virus. (Masks do reduce its spread, but the effect can be too modest to be visible across an entire community or state.) Her tweet made a larger point, too: People with a public platform should be willing to admit when they’re wrong.

There is no shame in being wrong at times. Everybody is, including knowledgeable experts. The world is a messy, uncertain place. The only way to be right all the time is to be silent or say nothing interesting.

The problem isn’t that people make mistakes; it’s that so few are willing to admit it.

Many experts instead post aggrandizing praise of themselves on social media. They claim that each new development — be it on Covid, the economy, politics or foreign affairs — justifies what they’ve been saying all along. They don’t grapple with the weak points in their arguments and hope nobody notices their past incorrect predictions.

We journalists commit the same sins. More than a decade ago, in an effort to do better, David Weigel of Slate (and now of The Washington Post) introduced a concept he called “pundit accountability.” It describes articles in which journalists highlight their own mistakes — and not small factual errors, which often get corrected, but errors of analysis, which don’t.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"The problem isn’t that people make mistakes; it’s that so few are willing to admit it."
    - David Leonhardt

Mr. Leonhardt nailed it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Have we peaked? I think it is too soon to tell:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	38520
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"Dr. Walensky noted that only 16 percent of children from 5 to 11 had been fully vaccinated..."
    - Katie Dowd, SFGATE

Man, I find it hard to fathom why a parent would put their children at risk by opposing vaccinations. Kids deserve better than that.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Today's numbers---This does seem like the early stages of a reduction in new cases---as we work through increases in deaths:

Views:	5 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	38521
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-12-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Man, I find it hard to fathom why a parent would put their children at risk by opposing vaccinations. Kids deserve better than that.

Hunter
    When children are used/ thrown into the political BS as proof! of something it is no less than down right disgusting. Another example of the current state of affairs which as a whole is also down right disgusting.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    When children are used/ thrown into the political BS as proof! of something it is no less than down right disgusting. Another example of the current state of affairs which as a whole is also down right disgusting.
    We are experiencing, on a regular basis, the anti crowd harassing children, parents and teachers as they enter school functions wearing masks.

The leader of this band is a member of the school board
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-12-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Yes those same parents that are concerned about their children both regarding covid protocols and what they are being taught are being labeled by the administration as terrorists. BS. If you don't go along with everything the administration wants you're a terrorist, a white supremacist, a racist, a crazed lunatic. Well I'm here to tell you there's a hell of a lot of us out there that don't believe that venom being spewed by the incompetent president and his left wing Waco associates.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

So, I take it you think it perfectly acceptable to call children names and demean their parents while they try to enter a school. Calling kindergarten kids names because they are following their parents and the school administration is now somehow ok?

Amazing, who knew

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    So, I take it you think it perfectly acceptable to call children names and demean their parents while they try to enter a school. Calling kindergarten kids names because they are following their parents and the school administration is now somehow ok?

Amazing, who knew
    Never said that. But there's two sides to every coin.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Man, this one got sideways fast. My friends, I'm not advocating for forced vaccinations of children. I think parents should be encouraged to have their kids vaccinated.

When I was a kid, there was no debate (or sides) when it came to polio vaccinations. We just did it. As a result, cases of polio pretty much disappeared.

Frankly, I was surprised when Covid hit and many Americans decided to check their political credentials before seeking vaccination. Too many people are now dying - in one of the richest and most successful nations in the world. We're better than that.

Hunter

I'm about to say we are seeing a downward trend:

Views:	7 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	38525

Related:
    The C.E.O. of United Airlines, Scott Kirby, said that while 3,000 employees recently tested positive for the virus, zero vaccinated employees were hospitalized. That’s a big change. Before the company enacted a vaccine mandate, an average of more than one United employee each week was dying from Covid.
    My SIL flys for United, they are so short of pilots they have been paying premiums as high as 2.5 x base rate for some flights.

It's OK if they make their own choices, their numbers are dwindling.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Yes, they are dwindling.

In several threads about Covid I've mentioned I have a sister who, for political reasons, refuses to get vaccinated. Worse yet, she's demanded her immediate family not get vaccinated too. Today I learned she and her husband have Covid. And, he's been hospitalized for treatment of it. I was worried this would happen - and it did.

Hunter