Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyer beware---Mike!

Buyer beware---Mike!

That $1,000 Bourbon You Bought May Be a Phony
    Counterfeiting — filling luxury bottles with cheap liquor — has hit American whiskey hard as sky-high prices raise the payoff for scammers.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-09-2022 at 11:08 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm not too concerned as I doubt anyone would counterfeit the stuff I can afford. They might use it to fill the counterfeit bottles, though.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I'm in the same boat.

At the prices they are talking about I wouldn't drink it---just rub a little on my skin from time to time---maybe behind my ear

The trendy converts to bourbon have had an impact on the availability of my "house label" Woodford Reserve. All liquor sales in PA are through "State Stores"---which are owned and controlled by the state liquor control commission---including warehousing and distribution.
    Thus counterfeiting is of less concern but the availability is.

I don't know about other brands but in the case of Woodford Reserve, they don't mention age any longer (at least to my knowledge)---which is no surprise. None of these producers could have seen the growth in the market 4 years ago or more when they were producing what they are now selling. Me thinks they are robbing Peter to pay Paul at this point. I have to add that I have not observed a degradation of quality, but based on the frequency and amount I drink it could easily pass me by

What I do see, is a lack of larger bottles, it seems the 750 ml bottle is the largest on the shelf.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-09-2022 at 11:34 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ....... I wouldn't drink it---just rub a little on my skin from time to time---maybe behind my ear
    Nah, that's where the Diesel is applied.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Reading that article I find that this recent rage in counterfeiting bourbon is not a new happening. It has been going on with single malt scotches and fine wines for years. I guess the bourbon world was formally protected through a lack of interest by elitist snobbery---worked for me

Only bottles of Bourbon I have were purchased at the Buffalo Trace distillery store. 2 bottles of Blantons to be exact
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Only bottles of Bourbon I have were purchased at the Buffalo Trace distillery store. 2 bottles of Blantons to be exact
    Blantons is very good bourbon, Buffalo Trace was a bit of a disappointment for me.

I don't buy Bourbon but I'm happy to drink someone else's. I'm a Rye guy.

They are kissing cousins

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    They are kissing cousins
    Yeah, but the mash bill for Rye contains a whole lot more Rye than does Bourbon.

Understood, bourbon is primarily corn based. They point out in that article that this issue is centered on bourbon but applies across the board with whiskeys of all strips.

I was thinking about this as I ate my lunch and it occurred to me that in the case of these highest priced brands this has posed a new level of security for them----beginning with the people that make the bottles, the freight carriers, the warehouses, anyone who touches them along the way.

What a quandary----the crooks are saying I don't need your whiskey----just give me you bottles

It also reminds me of my dear friend who has passed on , but many years ago someone gave him a bottle of Crown Royal, in the blue velvet bag. For decades after the last drop of Crown Royal was gone he quietly enjoy listening to those he didn't particularly like pontificate over the cheap refills
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-10-2022 at 09:35 AM.

Mike have you tried wild turkey rye. A friend of mine who is a fan of rye says that it's very good and reasonably priced.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I bought an engraved, cased S&W last year from a guy who said he traded a bottle of whiskey for it...I had no idea it was that high...Now I'm really glad I quit drinking 45 years ago......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

We had dinner at our daughter's last night. My SIL is somewhat a connoisseur of "spirits" and he had me do a blind taste test of two bourbons he recently picked up.

There was a distinct difference between the two. One was robust with a strong finish, the other seemed almost apologetic for being a bourbon and wanted to erase any trail of it passing over your pallet.

The latter of the two, I was to find out, was 4 Roses Single Barrel. It is a moderately priced at about $45.00. The thing I find of interest----I have only recently heard of this brand and the name of 4 Roses used to be synonymous of 4 Roses whisky, a real bottom shelf offering.

The other, which I liked better, turned out to be a $300 a bottle.

(But I didn't like it $300 worth!)

I should add that I cleaned my palate between the two---with the diet Coke I was drinking
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-10-2022 at 11:22 AM.

Try Coke zero and you'll never go back to diet Coke.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.