Thread: Something new

Something new

I tried something new tonight and it worked fine.

I made monk fish using the French technique of sautéing arroser in brown butter.

I first sautéed with EVOO then at about 50% done I added the butter, 4 garlic cloves and fresh thyme. I then tilted the pan and continued to spoon the butter back over the fish until done. The garlic cloves were smashed but whole which prevented them from burning while imparting their flavor into the butter.

I served sautéed baby bok choy and air fried French fries with the fish.

A few words on the bok choy---I do not prepare that in keeping with any published recipe that I have seen.

I begin by cutting off the root end and separating the leaves which go directly into a sink of cold water. I then wash and place the leaves in a colander to drain. If you follow this technique and look at the remaining water in the sink you will know exactly why I do this!

I dry them as much as possible before adding them to a large non-stick skillet with EVOO at med high heat. As soon as they begin to wilt I add two or three cloves of minced garlic (this prevents burning) and about a tbsp of either soy sauce or fish sauce, cover while stirring as need to finish evenly.

The "standard" way of adding the garlic to the pan prior to adding the bok choy will guarantee it will burn and become bitter. Adding it on top of the bok choy assures it will incorporate into the bok choy and not burn.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-08-2022 at 11:49 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Had to Google EVOO, but got it all.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead