Thread: 2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental Motorcycle: A German Harley BMW’s American-style

2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental Motorcycle: A German Harley BMW’s American-style

....long-distance cruiser is big, stylish and fully kitted out. And, as Dan Neil discovered, at a whopping 942 pounds, it’s also a beast to handle.

Seen in this morning's WSJ.

Base price: $24,995

Price, as tested: $31,695

Powertrain: 1,802-cc horizontally opposed two-cylinder, with four valves per cylinder, electronic ignition and pushrod actuation; six-speed single clutch transmission with reverse assist; rear universal shaft.

Power/torque: 91 hp at 4,750 rpm/116 pound-feet at 3,000 rpm

Length/width/seat height/wheelbase: 103.9/40.9/29.1/66.7 inches

Curb weight: 942 pounds

0-62 mph: 6 seconds

Cargo capacity: 100 liters
    Significantly slower than my S-Class MB---but then I am not apt to go off the back
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The BMW R-series is legendary. If I recall, the last R I had weighed about 500 pounds. This new one is almost double that weight. Is it possible the weight is wrong? Heck, my last Harley Trike weighed around 900 pounds.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

From Cycle World:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	38512
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yep - that's what it says. Nice work, Dave.

I liked seeing it holds 6.3 gallons of fuel. I wouldn't buy bikes that held less than 5 gallons, 'cause I regularly took long road trips. It was easy to find fuel on the interstate (I-15). But coming up through the middle of Nevada (Las Vegas to Wendover), I needed to refill halfway through, which meant hauling extra fuel in those red plastic containers.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I think they gave the range for fuel as 200 miles which would be plenty for me.

Yeah, 200 is decent for a majority of riders. But, miles from Las Vegas up to Elko is 422 miles. Ahhh... I miss bikes so badly.

Hunter