Thread: False or Misleading Pandemic Postings

False or Misleading Pandemic Postings

I've been mulling over a problem for the last few days - what to do about false and/or misleading Covid-19 information being posted here that could possibly cause readers to endanger themselves or others based on that false and/or misleading information. In particular, false and/or misleading information regarding protection from infection using vaccines, masks or home spun remedies like bleach or Ivermectin.

In good conscience I don't believe this site should publish false and/or misleading information about the pandemic. That endangers lives.

Should you choose to post questionable materials about the pandemic, some posts may be removed and others may have disclaimers added depending on the content. So, please vet your information carefully before posting. Information obtained from extremist sites is probably not acceptable vetting without collaboration from non-extremist sites.

We are not going to become an extremist site for either the right or the left with topics that may endanger our readers or others.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I think this needs some clarification. This rule is not meant to stop discussion of Covid-19, methods of its prevention, treatment etc. Everything about the virus is open for responsible discussion. The only thing prohibited is posting false and/or misleading information about the virus that could possibly be harmful.

Here is an (ridiculous) example:

Posting that there is a possibility that drinking 83 cups of milk per day may cure Covid-19 could be okay as long as the post doesn't claim it to be a proven fact.

Posting that drinking 83 cups of milk per day is a proven cure, is not okay unless you have backup from a usually reliable source. Extremist conspiracy type sites, either left, or right, are not the most reliable and will not be acceptable for vetting a claim. A person's politics should not sway healthcare standards.

Posting a claim that any reasonable person should know is harmful, such as injecting bleach, will not be permitted.

I hope this clears up a difficult topic and makes it easier for everyone.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke