Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A true hero

A true hero

How many people would be willing to put their life in jeopardy to the extent that this Trooper did. She deserves great recognition.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-o...-dashcam-video
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Wow! True Hero!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I wanted to know more, and I found multiple write ups on this. I apologize for the lack of a link but doing this on a tablet is a bit of a pain.

The drunk was a 52 year old woman who had driven around cones to get onto a closed section of Interstate.

The trooper suffered serious injury but is expected to recover. Unfortunately, so is the drunk.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"Schuck is seen turning her patrol vehicle directly into the path of the drunk driver and then the two vehicles crash head-on."
    - Fox News

The cams used show her heroism.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I wanted to know more, and I found multiple write ups on this.
    Has it hit the New York times, The Washington Post, PBS or Yahoo yet?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Here is a video from the inside of the troopers car at the time of the impact. Wow

https://fb.watch/bHKJqYg9OC/

That's an excellent video. Typically those things are muddy facsimiles of what's happened. That one, particularly of the car's interior, is well filmed.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    That's an excellent video. Typically those things are muddy facsimiles of what's happened. That one, particularly of the car's interior, is well filmed.

Hunter
    I would hope safety professionals view that----there is FAR too much stuff flying around in that car that didn't need to be.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I would hope safety professionals view that----there is FAR too much stuff flying around in that car that didn't need to be.
    Lots of stuff flying around, zero joggers dead. Amazing witnessing of true American policing heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Lots of stuff flying around, zero joggers dead. Amazing witnessing of true American policing heroism.
    You don't get it

Oh I got what you were saying but modern police vehicles are so loaded with technology it's very hard to secure. Also she was not a patrol trooper. She was a trooper that dealt with large trucks and the laws regarding them. So she had some equipment in the back that would not typically be in a police cruiser. In our Police department there is so much technology mounted in the car that when they get a new rookie to train it's very difficult for the new officer to even sit in the front seat. And I agree that can present a danger. Then again it's not everyday that you take a head on to save lives.

Also upon a close review it does not appear that she's got her seat belt in the proper location for maximum protection.

I am not going to waste time on this, but I will tell you that if I had a safety manager give me that response he would be unemployed.

Im divided on this one... ended up almost well but probably was bad practice...

there is a reason for the motto

To protect and to serve

And Dave. You would be surprised at the amount of unsecured things are in the cab of a fire engine. There is no secure place to put what we had to carry. And that is another reason for the <E> on the plate. it stands for exempt from just about everything except over weight on a bridge.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

When I was out and about I had a minimal amount of other things in my road vehicles. Our policy at the time did not allow us to intervene unless 2 of us were present and fully equipped. Yeah, it felt wrong to let a situation define our tactics, but we danced with what we brought,

Man, officers have so much "collateral gear" nowadays. All I was used to having was a radio, a firearm, and a set of cuffs. Just dealing with those 3 things was plenty. I now have a nephew coming up through law enforcement. Fortunately, he'll be trained to deal with a much more complex world than I and my wife dealt with. May he be safe and healthy as he works and lives.

Hunter