Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another shameless theft...

If Trappey's is available, give it a try......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I will look for it
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The Tabasco as it comes from the store is not fully aged as much as I like. So, I buy a big bottle, open it up, and blow into it to contaminate the sauce. That triggers another aging process which turns the red sauce brown over a period of 5 years. For some reason, the second aging process converts the vinegar into a neutral liquid. Now, I don't understand the chemical reaction involved, I just know the Tabasco tastes much better afterward.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    The Tabasco as it comes from the store is not fully aged as much as I like. So, I buy a big bottle, open it up, and blow into it to contaminate the sauce. That triggers another aging process which turns the red sauce brown over a period of 5 years. For some reason, the second aging process converts the vinegar into a neutral liquid. Now, I don't understand the chemical reaction involved, I just know the Tabasco tastes much better afterward.

Hunter
    Very interesting----I will give that a try
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I think any of the red sauces will turn brown as they age, I've just never known the exact cause...I have noticed the color change as I get closer to the bottom of a quart of Louisiana Red......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I have always accredited it to oxidation.

Interesting. Googled it and,

"Your Tabasco sauce might turn to a brownish or a dark red color. That shouldn’t worry you since it’s natural for the sauce to change color due to light exposure over time. The mustard and chilli peppers in the sauces tend to turn darker with time."
    - Tabasco

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Good stuff----thank you

You are welcome.

Hunter

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    So I guess that I shouldn’t have thrown away the unopened bottle of Texas Pete that had turned brown..

I stumbled upon this oldie..

This a conversation between a man and his wife. Please note that she asks five or six questions which he answered quite simply,
    but then she is speechless after answering only one question. l bet this happens more often than not to most husbands out there:

Woman: Do you drink beer?
    Man: Yes

Woman: How many beers a day?
    Man: Usually about three

Woman: How much do you pay per beer?
    Man: $5.00 which includes a tip (this is where it gets scary!)

Woman: And how long have you been drinking?
    Man: About 20 years, I suppose

Woman: So a beer costs $5 and you have three beers a day which puts your spending each month at $450. In one year, it would be approximately
    $5400 correct?
    Man: Correct

Woman: If in 1 year you spend $5400, not accounting for inflation, the past 20 years puts your spending at $108,000 correct?
    Man: Correct

Woman: Do you know that if you didn’t drink so much beer, that money could have been put in a step-up interest savings account and after accounting for compound interest for the past 20 years, you could have now bought an airplane?

Man: Do you drink beer?
    Woman: No.

Man: Where is your airplane?

Love it!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Man: Do you drink beer?
    Woman: No.

Man: Where is your airplane?
    BWA-HAH!!......

I quit drinking 45 years ago, and I don't have an airplane either...All I have is a paid for house and truck and a few old obsolete revolvers...What could I have been thinking?......Ben

Another example of going for the little things in life, which may become expensive, but adds to our lives.

Hunter

This happened long before Phillbo became a serious Presidential candidate, so it probably won't be brought up again during the campaign since political smears are sure to be outlawed by then...
    Phillbo was in a jewelry store one Friday afternoon with an absolutely drop dead gorgeous red head with the most piercing green eyes. They were looking at diamonds and the jeweler was showing him a 1.5 carat stone that was perfect. She was swooning and Phillbo said, "No not enough for my perfect lady". The jeweler went into the back room and brought out a 2.5 carat diamond, round cut and placed it on the velvet and you could actually see that lady's knees almost buckle. Phillbo said, "That is the one. I want it put in white gold setting with two of the greenest most perfect emeralds you have to match her eyes and I want it for Monday." The jeweler said that it could be done over the weekend but he would need a deposit. Phillbo pulled out his checkbook and proceeded to write a check for $15,000.00 He said, "Will this be enough? The bank is closed but you can deposit it Monday and we can settle up on the remaining amount Monday afternoon when we come get the ring."

Deal was done.

Monday the Jeweler called Phillbo screaming " The check bounced, you only have $35.76 in your account"
    Phillbo said, "I'm sorry, but let me tell you about my weekend!"
    ...Ben

As long as it wasn't nurse Paula I can ignore that