Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning the menus---of comfort food

They seem to run from light and fluffy to lead like, there is a deli on Long Island that I could get good middle of the road matzo ball soup.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Our guests just left, everything was fine.

I feel like I need a vacation o
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Excellent.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Sorry, I didn't have a lot of time for pictures

But---a report on the sauerkraut is due. I was concerned that I might not have enough of the Buddies @ $9.99 for a 25 oz jar ( I bought 2 jars), so I added a jar of Silver Floss @ less than $2.00 for 32 oz jar.

My own experience with commercial kraut is admittedly limited but I do keep some in the pantry for the occasional kraut rush--thus the Silver Floss on hand. As for the Buddies---I had recently read a glowing review in Cooks Illustrated (I think) and wanted to give it a try.

So, I did---and I am happy to report, I won't need to spring for the big bucks to quell any future kraut rush.

I did a side by side taste test right out of the jar. The Buddies was notably more crispy than the Silver Floss but was also notably more salty tasting. After baking with the pork for 3 hours the texture was equivalent. I found no justification for the cost--- I'd eat either one with gusto, especially if someone else bought the Buddies

...and for the record, I had a large bowl of vegetable soup for breakfast and for lunch I will have a "modified Rueben". That is a large crown of kraut on toasted rye bread, with a thick slice of pork, shrouded with swiss cheese and a generous coating of local Russian Dressing
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-02-2022 at 02:35 PM.

Eight days post the beginning of the soup---on a cold winter's morn with fresh snow from last night---breakfast witnessed its passing
    RIP