Thread: Coleslaw

Coleslaw

I just made coleslaw for dinner tonight---which will go with lamb chops and sauteed broccoli rabe.

My wife is in MD at the moment with the kiddies and she isn't a fan of lamb or broccoli rabe (also called rapini)--so I am unconstrained as it were

Anyway, back to the coleslaw, I'd like to post a neat recipe but I can't----I don't have one

To the cabbage I add one large grated carrot---about 3/4 of one actually because I eat the short stubs from grating

One half of a large red onion, diced.

Then for the sauce:

maybe 3/4 cup of mayo
    about 1/2 of that amount of dijon mustard (Grey Poupon)
    Apple cider vinegar---start with 2 tbsp
    juice of 1/2 a lemon
    Zest of 1/2 lemon
    fresh ground black pepper
    salt to taste

Don't start out with more than that amount of mayo---frankly it is a bit surprising how little sauce is needed for the entire head of cabbage.

As I am cutting the cabbage I add a little course sea salt to the bowl with each addition of shredded cabbage. I mix the salt in as I go---but I am careful not to oversalt. That will begin to wilt the cabbage and when done grating I let the bowl sit for at least an hour and then drain off any liquid that has collected in the bottom of the bowl.

I don't like store bought coleslaw since in most every case they add sugar not to mention it is less than fresh by the time it is sold.

Regarding the sugar---the carrot takes care of any need for sweet.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I know you like to make your own, but I've been using Lighthouse brand when I find it, I'm lazy. I buy a package of shredded cabbage, I try to find the ones with out carrots or red cabbage because it bleeds and colors the dressing. I put half a jar on it and lets it set then later in the day I mix it up. If you use a whole jar after it sets it's like soup.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson