Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM delivers first EV to FedEx

GM delivers first EV to FedEx

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

With this kind of move and, if it's successful, we are one step closer to having EV's become the vehicle of the masses. I'd like to say that pleases me, but I'll wait to see how it goes. I really like gasoline and Diesel engines and I'll have to see if I miss them or not.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I have an electric golf cart I use to get around the country estate (Ben's term, not mine). I really like how quiet it is and how you don't have to start and stop an engine to make it go. Just put the forward/reverse switch in the proper position, press the accelerator and it goes. Quietly. No messy stinky gasoline to mess with, just plug it in every now and then and I'm good to go.

I don't know how that would work out with a daily driver pickup truck, though. Range is the part that worries me almost as much as replacing the batteries. I need to replace the golf cart batteries soon at a cost of about $700. I suspect replacing the batteries on an electric pickup truck just might break the bank.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Range is my biggest concern. I'm a little less concerned by the batteries since most companies now are giving very long warranties up to 10 years. I know Toyota I think right now gives 8 years. But yes if you ever decided to replace them at least at this point in time the cost is prohibitive. Hopefully with increased technology the prices will come down.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I wonder what the trade in value would be on an electric vehicle nearing the battery end of life?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Mike check out these guys. free shipping, good prices, stocking inventory. I got my Lifeline group 31 AGMS from them at $100 less than the competition.

https://batteryguys.com/pages/about-us
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Actually I heard they don't have to replace all the cells in the vehicle only those that need replacing.

Looking at the "platforms" being shown it appears one needs to lift the body off the frame to do that then replace the damaged cells. I don't expect that to be easy though.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Lifting the body to do major repair work seems to becoming increasingly common---Super Duties being one of those. If you look at the assembly process it is clear why this is the case. No longer are engines put into a chassis with the body work in place. The drive line is on the chassis and the body comes down from above and is placed over the assembly below.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I would think towing would decrease the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I wonder what the trade in value would be on an electric vehicle nearing the battery end of life?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

The idea of owning an EV intrigues me. I almost bought a hybrid when I bought my Highlander but I didn't because I didn't like the sound of the four-cylinder gas engine that was in to supplement the electricity. I think I would like one more if the entire powering was electric. The prices of vehicles that are full electric are selling for quite a premium over a comparable gas burner. I have a friend who just recently bought a new Tesla and he has experienced a noticeable increase in his monthly power bill since it requires 240 volt charging for up to 12 to 14 hours. However he really is impressed with the performance and the quietness of the vehicle. I'm watching the market and I do see an electric powered vehicle in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I would think towing would decrease the distance.
    Without question. Another issue, at least up here, is cold which can half the range.

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Mike check out these guys. free shipping, good prices, stocking inventory. I got my Lifeline group 31 AGMS from them at $100 less than the competition.

https://batteryguys.com/pages/about-us
    Thanks!

I've been buying my batteries at Sam's club and the prices have been very good and the batteries have held up. I've also bought from battery guys.

Rebuilding batteries used to be common.

The case was made of some kind of molded material with a compartment for each cell, the top was open. The individual cell assemblies were put in each compartment and connected by a bus between cells, then a paper cover was placed over the cells and a tar like material was poured over the top to seal the battery.

Rebuilding was a rather simple process of draining the acid, melting the tar and replacing or in some cases repairing the defective cell.