Thread: Kudos to Sen Republicans

Kudos to Sen Republicans

...who voted to fund the Federal Government until Feb (hey--baby steps ain't all bad) on a vote of 69 to 28.

Tonight both the House and the Senate passed a measure to fund the federal government until February 18, 2022. The new legislation will prevent a government shutdown. The measure passed the House by a vote of 221 to 212 with only one Republican, Adam Kinzinger of Illinois, voting yes. “This government should be shut down,” Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) said. “You want to know why it should be shut down? Because the people in here. The people in here cannot control themselves.”
    In the Senate, some Republicans tried to load the measure up with a provision to end President Joe Biden’s vaccine mandates, but an amendment that would have defunded vaccine mandates failed. Then the Senate passed the bill by a vote of 69–28. It now goes to Biden to be signed into law.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ...a vote of 69 to 28.
    That's an impressive margin considering how divisive the bill was. Frankly, I'm impressed - and hope our legislators continue on this path.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I had occasion to hear Cokie Roberts speak on several occasions .. Cokie is the daughter of Hale Boggs, GOP House Leader in daze of Tip O’Neil as Speaker.. Cokie pointed out that in the days before easy jet travel the representatives lived in DC and didn’t commute home on weekends..

Congressional wives were active in charity work.. on Weekends the Congressmen attended charity events with their wives where they were “arm candy “ and boarded to tears.. the Congress members ended up speaking with each other and finding common interests.. and then when complex legislation was “debated “ the two political opponents could speak off line and actually solve problems..

In the ancient daze..

Oh wow you remember the votes in this one
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I had occasion to hear Cokie Roberts speak on several occasions .. Cokie is the daughter of Hale Boggs, GOP House Leader in daze of Tip O’Neil as Speaker.. Cokie pointed out that in the days before easy jet travel the representatives lived in DC and didn’t commute home on weekends..

Congressional wives were active in charity work.. on Weekends the Congressmen attended charity events with their wives where they were “arm candy “ and boarded to tears.. the Congress members ended up speaking with each other and finding common interests.. and then when complex legislation was “debated “ the two political opponents could speak off line and actually solve problems..

In the ancient daze..
    I have heard similar accounts, some with possibly different causes but all with he same end result being the fleeing of the Capital every weekend.

On the other hand----I sure as heck would not want to rub elbows with the likes of marjorie taylor greene every Saturday evening
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis