Thread: Culling the herd

Culling the herd

...the rabid right herd

Sadly this and similar tragedies continue---and they truly are tragedies that need not happen. I saw a "statistic" a few days ago purporting to give the number of COVID deaths among Republicans and among Democrats, it also gave a figure for the % of Republicans who are vaccinated as well as the
    % of Democrats. I didn't post it simply because I saw no way to substantiate it--that is not to say that I believe there is not a significant tilt to the right among the victims.

This was extracted this morning from the NYT:

May you rest in peace sir:
    By Alyssa Lukpat
    Published Dec. 1, 2021
    Updated Dec. 2, 2021
    Marcus Lamb, a founder of the Texas-based Christian television network Daystar, who had been dismissive of Covid-19 vaccinations, died on Tuesday after contracting the coronavirus. He was 64.

His wife, Joni Lamb, confirmed his death on “Ministry Now,” the show that she and Mr. Lamb had hosted together. She did not say where he died. Daystar is based in Bedford, Texas, in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

After contracting the virus, Mr. Lamb, who frequently suggested on the air that people pray instead of getting inoculated, was taken to a hospital when his oxygen levels dropped “all of a sudden,” his wife said in a broadcast on Nov. 18. It was not immediately clear when he had tested positive for the virus.

Daystar Television Network, which the Lambs founded in 1997, did not respond to requests for comment on Wednesday.

“I’m at a loss for words today,” his son, Jonathan, said on Twitter on Tuesday. “My father was promoted to heaven at 4 am this morning.”

As the network’s chief executive, Mr. Lamb hosted his own broadcast as well as the show with his wife. His children regularly appear on the network, which says it reaches more than 108 million households, mostly through cable TV providers.

Daystar broadcasters, including the Lambs, have repeatedly questioned the efficacy of the vaccine. On May 10, the couple’s show included a segment in which the Covid vaccine was falsely said to be “killing your immune system.”

“We want to warn you, we want to help you, we want to give you an alternative,” Mr. Lamb said.

Instead of getting vaccinated, “we can pray, we can get ivermectin and budesonide and hydroxychloroquine,” he said, referring to several drugs that have not been approved for Covid treatment by the Food and Drug Administration. He denounced vaccination mandates for schoolchildren.

On the Nov. 18 show, Ms. Lamb said her husband had contracted the virus after she had. He had diabetes, which exacerbated his symptoms, she said.

Last month, on a Daystar show, Jonathan Lamb said his father’s Covid infection had resulted from “a spiritual attack from the enemy.”
    "a spiritual attack from the enemy." Could someone help me understand who the "enemy" is?

As a closing comment---this is no way to win an election folks
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"...promoted to heaven..."
    - NYT

I'm betting that assuming someone is promoted when they die is not of Biblical origin. In fact, Jesus and His Father may work to send a soul somewhere considerably lower than that.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

...another "candidate" for promotion

Doug Ericksen, a staunch conservative Washington state senator who led Donald Trump’s campaign in the north-western state and was an outspoken critic of Democratic governor Jay Inslee’s Covid-19 pandemic emergency orders, has died. He was 52.

Ericksen’s death on Friday came weeks after he said he tested positive for coronavirus while in El Salvador – though his cause of death wasn’t immediately released.

The state Senate Republican caucus confirmed his death but did not say where he died.

The Ferndale Republican reached out to Republican colleagues last month, saying he had taken a trip to El Salvador and tested positive for Covid-19 shortly after he arrived. Reasons for his visit were unclear.

In a message to state House and Senate members, Ericksen asked for advice on how to receive monoclonal antibodies, which were not then available in El Salvador.

He soon arranged a medevac flight out of El Salvador, former state representative Luanne Van Werven said. Van Werven said the next week the senator was recovering at a Florida hospital. No information about Ericksen’s location or condition had since been released.

Ericksen represented the 42nd district in Whatcom county and had been in the state legislature since 1998, the Seattle Times reported. He served six terms in the state House before being elected to the Senate in 2010.

Ericksen introduced legislation aimed at protecting the rights of people who do not wish to get vaccinated. It was unclear if he had been vaccinated against Covid-19.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says people should be fully vaccinated before visiting El Salvador, where levels of Covid-19 are “high”.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 12-19-2021 at 11:23 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis