Thread: A shameless plug

A shameless plug

...for the Ninja Foodi Digital Air Fry Oven

I bought this unit probably a year or more ago and only used it for occasionally making toast

For some reason I couldn't "get into it"---but now with more time on my hands I decided to give it a good try----and while this is early on in that project, I am favorably impressed.

The first thing that I made was french fries---why not

I should note that I don't have a deep fat fryer so french fries were not something that I ever made at home.

I didn't use frozen pre-cut fries, I cut Russets into 3/8" X 3/8" strips and left the skin on. I tossed them in one tbsp of olive oil and one tbsp of potato starch. I then put them on the fry basket (one layer with space between) and set the oven to 400 F for 22 minutes--no preheating.

At about 12 minutes I took them out and since they were nicely browning on the top I turned them over and put them back in the oven.

I checked them at 20 min and all seemed good to go for 2 more.

They turned out excellent

So far I have done fish, shrimp, and roasted veggies----and yes even a frozen pizza. Normally I would not even consider a frozen pizza---but yesterday I did the semi-weekly grocery shopping and I had seen Red Baron frozen pizza on sale for $3.99 ---so I got one since I had seen pizza done in one of the Youtube videos that I had watched. By the time I got home and everything was put away a frozen pizza in the Ninja seemed like an excellent choice---and so it was Time, 19 min at 400 F---the crust was crunchy and the entire pie was a reasonable rendition of a pizza.---I'm liking my Ninja
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 12-02-2021 at 11:39 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My tenant gave me an air fryer (an obvious ploy to gain favor if she's ever late with the rent which so far she isn't), and I have yet to use it...She's also a food nazi knowing that I'm not supposed to eat taters because of the carbohydrates, so when I do try it I'll need a good story, or a good air freshener to mask the telltale smell......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Pizza is what I usually cook in it.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Update:

I can't say enough good things about the Ninja Foodi Digital Air Fryer

My only regret is that it took me so long to use it

I now use it at most every meal---for a long range of things--last night was roasted broccoli and salmon. One of the great things is visibility.
    It is counter height and has a light in it and if you want to open it up and pull the shelf out it is that simple

It is so much faster than other methods that timing of multiple dishes becomes less of an issue. Most things I have done at 400 F, but roasting veggies seems better at 350 F to more evenly cook (re: Cooks Illustrated this month). The salmon would have taken about 8 minutes in a 400 F conventional oven--it was more like 5 in the Ninja.

This is not a toy that will quickly be forgotten---this is a keeper

Now I need to go back to my instant pot and see if I can become equally impressed with that----the initial encounters relegated that to a place in the back of the cabinet
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis