Thread: Mahala Sutherland Homecoming Queen

Mahala Sutherland Homecoming Queen

"Sutherland, 22, never expected to win this year’s homecoming royalty contest at Southern Utah University. But she’s honored that she did — and that she became the first Indigenous student to claim the title in the school’s history."
    - Salt Lake Tribune

https://www.sltrib.com/news/educatio...st-indigenous/

When I first came to Utah in 1970, there was what was called an Indian School in Brigham City. I thought it was interesting - and did not know that many of the children there were taken from their families and educated in White culture. They were not allowed to speak their own language or choose their educational path. It closed in 1984 after being renamed the Intermountain Inter-Tribal School.

All the above occurred in Cedar City, which is approximately 250 miles South of SLC.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Good for her! More evidence that equality advances with time, albeit very slowly.

In the not very distant past, Indian schools were the government's attempt to assimilate Native Americans into White culture. It was cruel and didn't work, like most everything else Whites have tried to impose on them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Indian_boarding_schools]Interesting Article
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Kudos to her---and to those that elected her

The US wasn't alone in this abuse of indigenous people through "education"---Canada just might have done worse. It was done under the ruse of more efficient education----the government could provide a better education by centralizing the students in large boarding schools---far from their families.

Not only did they "whiten" the students they abused them---the schools were a meca for every pediofile with a teaching background and on the prowl for new victims.

The reality of this has only come out in Canada in trickles---Canada is not one to be transparent about anything that could be embarrassing. I was living in Toronto when the first stories began to emerge---the Toronto Star never saw fit to "elevate" the story higher than half way back in the first section. The official mistreatment and coverup was almost as maddening as the acts themselves.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I think I recently read somewhere about numerous graves being found at at least one Canadian Indian school. I'll see if I can find it.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

That was easy to find.

The recent discoveries of more than 1,300 unmarked graves at the sites of four former residential schools in western Canada have shocked and horrified Canadians. Indigenous peoples, whose families and lives have been haunted by the legacy of Canada’s Indian residential school system, have long expected such revelations. But the news has still reopened painful wounds.

Residential school survivor testimony has long been filled with stories of students digging graves for their classmates, of unmarked burials on school grounds, and of children who disappeared in suspicious circumstances. Many of these stories were heard by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC), which was formed in 2008 and collected testimonies from over 6,750 survivors. The TRC’s 2015 Final Report made it quite clear that further recoveries of unmarked graves at the schools were inevitable.
    MORE

Yes, I saw that. Too sad of a tale for me to recount---it included babies.

I just now saw your second post---that is it.

To point out the depth of this attempt to avoid admitting to this travesty and taking from your post:

Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC), which was formed in 2008
    I lived in Toronto 94 to 96---so those refined civilized stalwarts managed to drag their rotten feet until 2008 before they took the first offical step.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Humans are a savage species. It’s sad.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Humans are a savage species. It’s sad.
    Yep, and we don't know the half of it. We're as bad as everyone we talk about if not worse. The indians treated their own with as much or more savagery than than we did, it's still going own, we are the animals at the top of the food chain. There is no way to understand or forgive but we can with the knowledge we are learning to be better, maybe?
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    There is no way to understand or forgive but we can with the knowledge we are learning to be better, maybe?
    Yes, I believe we are starting to understand.

Ms. Sutherland represents our future. What's nice is, our members got it and have expressed that in this thread.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead