Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Biden does something of note

Hunter Biden does something of note

....and if it was mentioned here I missed it.

The NYT----yes---the NYT which is so voraciously criticised by those who don't read it, ran a series of articles the beginning of this week about a serious diplomatic failure as well as the involvement of Hunter Biden in a Chinese "monopolization" of the global supply of cobalt in the Congo.

I was amazed that the news went so widely ignored. The "exposes" traced the "cultivation" of the Congo, apparently through the efforts of our diplomatic corp with little strategic planning on the part of either the State Department or a progression of Presidents. That cultivated favor began to be squandered, at least as far back as GWB, and continued unabated until now. The "now" is that we have lost influence and control of the largest cobalt mine in the world---to China who now has a lock on the majority of known reserves of an element critical in the manufacturing of electric vehicle batteries.

That loss came about by the sale of that mine from a US company to China in a deal orchestrated by a group headed by Hunter Biden.

Here is a link to the NY Post--but if you have an honest interest in learning about this you need to go to the NYT---everything else I have found is based on the NYT story---they are like reading a condensed book

The main links to the NYT reporting of this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/20/w...sultPosition=1

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/20/w...sultPosition=2

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/20/w...sultPosition=3

Even the vaulted Fox News pulled their report from the NYT work
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Hunter Biden's deplorable activities have once again given aid to our enemies, but I'm sure the Justice Department will again ignore it.

I read about that a few days ago on Fox News, but just for fun I did a search of CNN and ABC News just now, there is not a trace of the story. However, a Google search finds a lot of sources for the STORY

BTW, did you know that we walked away from Afghanistan leaving the Taliban in charge of Trillons in precious metals and rare earth minerals? China intends to take advantage of that mistake. Thank Hunter's father for that blunder.

No wonder Hunter is so good at screwing the U.S. - he learned how from his father. I learned that on CNN while looking for the Cobalt story.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

This kind of event and the reporting or non-reporting of them is a big part of why I rely primarily on newspapers of substance to gather my news. Just "newspapers" are not necessarily of value. Many have few real journalists on staff and as a result they become news aggregators---they read other sources accounts and regurgitate. Very quickly these stories become hearsay and rumor.

I do have to give those second tier papers some slack---we have become lazy---we can get our news free without any more effort than turning on the TV and as a result they simply can't afford the costs of professional journalists---who are also expensive to keep on the street---no matter where the street is. I don't regret for one minute what I spend on subscriptions.

That said----the lack of noise over this both here and in the general media astounded me and should concern all of us.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm with Mike I read about it and was completely up to date but just generally ignored it because Hunter Biden is never held accountable for any of his criminal activities. So I have no expectation that anything will be done this time. After all he's got to get money to the " big guy".
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Of course you did This would be a first---you have never missed a chance to point out past fabricated transgressions but now when it is real you let it pass-----right

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Of course you did This would be a first---you have never missed a chance to point out past fabricated transgressions but now when it is real you let it pass-----right
    It is indeed enjoyable to watch you wallow in your condescending elitism.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

You need to work on a new line---that got old long ago

You need to work on a new line---that got old long ago
    Truth survives the ages.

Ford announced that as a result it was going to invest in a lithium battery that doesn't rely on Cobalt. (need to hunt down that link)
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    I'm really excited and hopeful as technology progresses in automotive batteries. I really want to make the leap to an EV but the costs and the range has discouraged me. I think there's enough being thrown at this industry that this will be resolved soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Ford announced that as a result it was going to invest in a lithium battery that doesn't rely on Cobalt. (need to hunt down that link)
    The price of Li Ion Batteries has plummeted since their introduction about 30 years ago. From what I have read, this change has resulted not from major steps in technology but a continuing flow of chemical and material changes.

Ford is following in the footsteps of all (I believe) US EV manufacturers in staying with LI based batteries. I also believe they have taken that direction as a result of a well thought out strategic plan. For the same reason I am not sure the Chineses have the long term value they desired in their Cobalt mine. Even the Chinese are pursuing a dual path of Cobalt and LI. From the standpoint of US companies, it would be foolish of them to base their technology on a resource that is dominated by one mine located in an unstable country. That does not mean that we weren't foolish to let it slip into China's hands---or maybe slipped is a poor choice of words---more like handed it over.

We seem to be unable to grasp the concept that China is out running around the world making friends through economic partnering while we sit by and waste what we once enjoyed. It reminds me of NY traffic, when it is your turn---take it---if not someone else will

Unfortunately, it's not illegal to make deals that weaken rather than strengthen our country. Personally, I consider it unethical. I know it's too much to expect a father to control his son, but I think Biden should try it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not illegal to make deals that weaken rather than strengthen our country. Personally, I consider it unethical. I know it's too much to expect a father to control his son, but I think Biden should try it.

Hunter
    I'm not sure of the legality of this---notwithstanding the inconvenient fact that the horse left the barn

This is a question not a statement: If (and I don't know that it is) cobalt was considered a material important to the nation's interests, would the US not have had the power to block this sale---from the former owner, an American company, to the Chinese?

...would the US not have had the power to block this sale---from the former owner, an American company, to the Chinese?
    I cannot quote the Fed law, but I believe there are regulations that require international sales/trade to go through a process of Fed review.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead