Thread: Three men found guilty of murder in Arbery shooting.

Three men found guilty of murder in Arbery shooting.

BRUNSWICK, Ga. — Three white men were found guilty of murder and other charges on Wednesday for the pursuit and fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year-old Black man, in a case that, together with the killing of George Floyd, helped inspire the racial justice protests of last year.
    Apparently, the jury didn't think that dirty toenails were justification to kill someone
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 11-24-2021 at 02:31 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

More reason to trust and believe in our constitutional system of justice and the ability of judges and juries to make decisions
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

From everything I have seen and heard about this murder, I have to wonder what took so long for the jury to convict? I don't understand how they convicted them of multiple counts of murder of different sorts since they could only kill him one time. Obviously Georgia law is different than what we have in Texas. However it works, I'm glad to see this verdict.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    More reason to trust and believe in our constitutional system of justice and the ability of judges and juries to make decisions
    agree..

you cannot create a situation and then claim self defense..

the jogger was wrong.. he was "get yelled at" wrong not "get imprisoned. assaulted, murdered" wrong..

Just my opinion, I could be wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    From everything I have seen and heard about this murder, I have to wonder what took so long for the jury to convict? I don't understand how they convicted them of multiple counts of murder of different sorts since they could only kill him one time. Obviously Georgia law is different than what we have in Texas. However it works, I'm glad to see this verdict.
    I didn't understand the number of counts either but like you said is probably some peculiarity in the Georgia criminal statutes. They'll all get life so it doesn't really matter in the end.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    .....They'll all get life so it doesn't really matter in the end.
    It could if they stack the sentences. But only if there is a possibility of parole.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Possible, I don't think it's a life without parole sentence but it could be I haven't researched the law. Either way at their age they'll be in jail until they're very very old men at the very least.

It's being reported that life without parole is on the table as a sentence and I would fully suspect that would be the judge's ruling.

Just ---but---I wouldn't be all that comfy to be one of dem three white guys in jail for "lynchin" a black man---if you know what I mean

Added in edit:

All three still face Federal Hate Crimes charges
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 11-24-2021 at 03:02 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    All three still face Federal Hate Crimes charges
    Whatever the outcome of that, they'll all die in prison - one way or another......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

They are scheduled to go on trial for the Federal charges in Feb.

I read this comment in the NYT:

Nov. 24, 2021, 2:29 p.m. ET1 hour ago
    1 hour ago
    Rick RojasReporting from Brunswick, Ga.
    Wanda Cooper-Jones, Ahmaud Arbery’s mother, said today's result seemed unimaginable in the months after her son’s death, when earlier prosecutors assigned to the case argued that the shooting did not constitute a crime. “To tell you the truth, I never saw this day back in 2020,” she said. “I never thought this day would come, but God is good. Thank you — thank you for those who marched, those who prayed.”

If there were prosecutors who didn't think this was a crime, I hope they have all been fired.

Two things impress me with this case:

The court's decision, and
    the postings of our members.

Both are excellent.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead