Thread: Our beacon has dimmed

Our beacon has dimmed

From the outside looking in:

Today, the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance, based in Stockholm, Sweden, released its 2021 report on “The Global State of Democracy.”
    “Democracy is at risk,” the report’s introduction begins. “Its survival is endangered by a perfect storm of threats, both from within and from a rising tide of authoritarianism.” “The world is becoming more authoritarian as nondemocratic regimes become even more brazen in their repression and many democratic governments suffer from backsliding by adopting their tactics of restricting free speech and weakening the rule of law.”

The report identifies the United States as one of the democracies that is “backsliding,” meaning that it has “experienced gradual but significant weakening of Checks on Government and Civil Liberties, such as Freedom of Expression and Freedom of Association and Assembly, over time.”

“The United States, the bastion of global democracy, fell victim to authoritarian tendencies itself, and was knocked down a significant number of steps on the democratic scale,” the report says.
    We join with such notables as Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia----all heros of Tucker Carlson.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I do feel sorry for Tucker as he strives to meet The credibility standard of people like Joy Reid and others at MSNBC and CNN, all of whom are bright beacons of democracy.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Lets be thankful for Tucker to keep our heads clear from all that bull roar out there.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

We can do something by going to the polls. If we don't, politicians will decide our futures unfettered.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I wish i could vote for the best person and not the least of the evils.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I wish i could vote for the best person and not the least of the evils.

Absolutely I wish some decent people would run for office, but with the current state of politics somebody's going to be out to get you no matter what you've done. Only the shameless continue forward.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Carlson is so absent of any ethical or moral limits I find it confounding why anyone would listen to him. This from two of the best Fox has on staff:

Fox News anchors Bret Baier and Chris Wallace bristled at the direction the network is headed, skewing away from news and more towards a nearly full-time editorial bent...........

Baier and Wallace, according to the report, “shared their objections with Fox News Media CEO Suzanne Scott and its president of news, Jay Wallace.” The objections eventually made their way to Lachlan Murdoch, the chairman and CEO of the network’s parent company, Fox Corporation.
    Let's see if "corporate" is willing to slay the cash cow
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis