Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This should scare every American

This should scare every American

Last night, Michael Flynn spoke at the “Reawaken America” conference in San Antonio, Texas. Flynn told the audience: “If we are going to have one nation under God, which we must, we have to have one religion. One nation under God, and one religion under God.”
    Really

First Amendment to the Constitution reads: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof….”

James Madison of Virginia, the key thinker behind the Constitution, had quite a lot to say about why it was fundamentally important to make sure the government kept away from religion.

In 1785, in a “Memorial and Remonstrance against Religious Assessments,” he explained that what was at stake was not just religion, but also representative government itself. The establishment of one religion over others attacked a fundamental human right—an unalienable right—of conscience. If lawmakers could destroy the right of freedom of conscience, they could destroy all other unalienable rights. Those in charge of government could throw representative government out the window and make themselves tyrants.

In Federalist #51, he said: “In a free government the security for civil rights must be the same as that for religious rights. It consists in the one case in the multiplicity of interests, and in the other in the multiplicity of sects.”

We are witnessing an assault on our form of government that has no precedence. These are evil people with evil intent.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

From your title, I thought this was another post about Beto O'Rourke, the counterfeit Mexican.

As for Flynn, he is just another idiot looking for a village.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    DC seems to be the primary gathering point......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Mike, I'm beginning to think it isn't wise for the rest of us to write these fanatics off so easily.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Which religion should we be? Good luck with that one.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I would find it interesting to see what he describes as religion. Is he talking christianity, vs islam vs hindu, or the more along the lines of protestant or catholic? Does he even want to refine it further by saying which tenet he is talking about? It is truly an idiotic comment that should be ignored as insanity.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I would find it interesting to see what he describes as religion. Is he talking christianity, vs islam vs hindu, or the more along the lines of protestant or catholic? Does he even want to refine it further by saying which tenet he is talking about? It is truly an idiotic comment that should be ignored as insanity.
    I had the same question and one report that I read claimed his version of "one religion" meant Christianity.

Ahhh... but what form of Christianity?

I know a retired Pastor that lives in Oakland, CA. He claims a person must do two things to be saved: Accept Jesus Christ came back from the dead, and believe He is our Savior. He sees all the "other stuff" as window dressing. My wife and I traveled with him by boat down the Amazon river. He never stopped talking religion, except to describe the leather his next Mercedes would have.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Ahhh... but what form of Christianity?
    Some things I simply pass on and this is one. Trying to figure out that detail didn't make it on my to-do list

I don't really see where it matters, the First Amendment is not going to go away and I can't imagine SCOTUS taking any action in that direction. All we have is a discredited idiot flapping his gums. I will not be losing any sleep over this.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I don't really see where it matters, the First Amendment is not going to go away and I can't imagine SCOTUS taking any action in that direction. All we have is a discredited idiot flapping his gums. I will not be losing any sleep over this.
    The problem is, that to a whole lot of people, Flynn is not a discredited idiot---and therein lies the danger

Put Flynn, with supposed credentials up, in front of people who have limited critical reasoning power and all of a sudden his twisted assertions become "normal".

I hear you, Dave. When I hear some politician spouting crackpot stuff I simply move on. Which I find myself doing several times a day now.

Hunter

Doesn't comcern me near as much as antifa and the violent radical left and right. One is words the other is action which usually results in major property damage and loss of life.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

...and now I find out this little general has a little general brother who played a part in Jan 6th!

This morning, Politico revealed the contents of a 36-page memo written by Colonel Earl Matthews of the D.C. National Guard to the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol. In the memo, Matthews called two Army generals “absolute and unmitigated liars” for their account of what happened on January 6. He says that General Charles Flynn, who served as deputy chief of staff for operations on January 6 and who is the brother of Michael Flynn, and Lt. Gen. Walter Piatt, the director of Army staff, would not authorize the deployment of the D.C. National Guard despite the pleas of then–Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund. In testimony before Congress, both men denied they had stood in the way of the deployment; Matthews says their very careful testimony was “willful deception of Congress.”
    The chit pool gets deeper

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Which religion should we be? Good luck with that one.

Hunter
    I vote for none of the above.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson