Thread: This could be an opportunity

This could be an opportunity

Excerpt from this morning's WSJ:

A poor harvest of spring wheat and concern over the winter crop have pushed prices for the grain to their highest levels in years and signal more food inflation ahead.

Drought across the Northern Hemisphere is the main culprit. Strong demand around the world, snarled supply lines and rising costs of farm inputs, like fertilizer and fuel, are contributing.

Futures prices for hard-red spring wheat, which grows over summer on the northern Plains and is favored by bakers and pizza makers, this week hit their highest price on the Minneapolis Grain Exchange since the 2008 planting season. At $10.44 a bushel, spring wheat costs roughly twice what it did the past two autumns.

Prices for lower-quality but more widely grown winter varieties have also climbed. Soft-red winter wheat, priced in Chicago and used to feed animals and in processed foods, is up 28% from a year ago. The benchmark rose above $8 a bushel to its highest level since late 2012. Hard-red winter wheat, known as Kansas City wheat and used for flour, has added more than 40% since last November to a six-year high. In Paris, wheat prices made a record this week.

Further gains are likely in store, said Carsten Fritsch, a commodities analyst at Commerzbank AG . Wheat importers like Japan, Egypt and Saudi Arabia have been stocking up on the global staple with big orders. Meanwhile, poor growing conditions have reduced inventories among exporters—mainly the U.S., Canada and Russia—and diminished expectations for the next crop.

“There’s no sign yet that high prices are deterring buying,” Mr. Fritsch said.

The U.S. Agriculture Department says that domestic wheat stockpiles are down 18% from a year ago and at the lowest level since 2007. On-farm inventories have fallen to their lowest level in more than 50 years, which means much of this year’s crop has already been delivered to market. Production this year is expected to fall 10% below last year despite an uptick in the number of acres planted with wheat.
    Those my friends are very high prices. Farmers tend to "over consume" when this happens and they run down to their favorite farm equipment dealers and buy the high price things like tractors and combines. The last time this happened I made far more by buying and selling farm equipment stock (mostly IH and JD) than I ever made growing wheat.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Typically, high inflation leads to higher interest rates - but not in the current US economy. We may be heading for a bust, my friends.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    We couldn’t run our households the way we are running the country.. financially speaking..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post

Those my friends are very high prices. Farmers tend to "over consume" when this happens and they run down to their favorite farm equipment dealers and buy the high price things like tractors and combines. The last time this happened I made far more by buying and selling farm equipment stock (mostly IH and JD) than I ever made growing wheat.
    I wouldn't hold my breath. Manufacturers have to actually build the farm equipment in order to sell it and make a profit. Due to supply chain woes, not much is being made. Add striking union members to the pot and we have empty dealer's lots everywhere I have been recently. I am serious about the "empty lots". I have seen lots without a single tractor for sale. Other lots nearby have fewer than six tractors on display.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath. Manufacturers have to actually build the farm equipment in order to sell it and make a profit. Due to supply chain woes, not much is being made. Add striking union members to the pot and we have empty dealer's lots everywhere I have been recently. I am serious about the "empty lots". I have seen lots without a single tractor for sale. Other lots nearby have fewer than six tractors on display.
    You make a valid point No toys in the toy box can make for unrequited farmers
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yes, and if our farmers lose - we all lose.

The economy is weak on the top levels, which is fine as long as the bottom levels remain. But, if both ends of the economy weaken, we're in trouble.

The Biden adm now has now put in place stimulus monies. Where do we come up with additional monies in the future?

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

This from this morning's WSJ:

Deere DE +6.15% & Co. posted sales and earnings growth in its latest fiscal quarter and forecast more growth to come next year as the company worked to move past the impact of a five-week worker strike that ended last week.

Revenue rose by double digits across the equipment manufacturer’s major categories in the three months through October, with high commodity prices and construction activity supporting demand for machines.

Production agriculture sales were up 23% year over year, while sales of small agricultural machines and turf equipment rose 17%. Construction and forestry sales improved by 14%.

Deere’s sales in the latest quarter were $11.33 billion, up 16% from $9.73 billion in the same stretch of 2020. Net income was $1.28 billion, or $4.12 a share, compared with $757 million, or $2.39 a share, in last year’s fourth quarter.

Wall Street analysts had been expecting sales of $10.46 billion and earnings of $3.91 a share, according to FactSet.

Looking ahead, Deere estimated that its profit in 2022 will be between $6.5 billion and $7 billion, which would be growth over the $5.96 billion profit it recorded in 2021.

Tight global supply chains will continue to pose challenges into next year, Deere Chairman and Chief Executive John C. May said.

Deere shares rose 3.7% in premarket trading Wednesday morning.
    It looks increasingly like new toy time for the farmers

Well, every farm equipment dealer (of all brands) between here and Houston has empty lots when it comes to powered equipment. I don't see how that is going to change in today's environment. The John Deere Chairman and CEO seems to feel the same from his quote above.

Tight global supply chains will continue to pose challenges into next year, Deere Chairman and Chief Executive John C. May said.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Good luck finding any tractors around here.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.