Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If True: Life in federal prison for all of them

I am sorry to find that you poor folks in VA are suffering the heavy hand of "protection" in the same way as us---does this mean those marauding parents might never have even been in our HS library and they got their talking points from some remote source

ARLINGTON, Va. — In the final days of the tight race for Virginia governor, the candidates are turning to the unlikeliest of campaign props: a novel from 1987.

A new online advertisement released this week by Glenn Youngkin, the Republican candidate, features a mother who pushed to have Toni Morrison’s “Beloved” banned from her son’s English curriculum eight years ago, citing the book’s graphic scenes. When that failed, she started an effort that eventually became a bill passed by the Republican-controlled General Assembly, but that was rejected by former Gov. Terry McAuliffe, the Democrat now running to win back his old job.

“It gave parents a say — the option to choose an alternative for my children,” the Northern Virginia mother, Laura Murphy, says in the ad. “But then Gov. Terry McAuliffe vetoed it twice. He doesn’t think parents should have a say. He said that. He shut us out.”

Left unsaid in the ad was that the mother and her husband are Republican activists, that their son was a high school senior taking advanced placement English when he read the passages that supposedly gave him nightmares, or that he later went on to work briefly in the White House under former President Donald J. Trump and now works for the G.O.P.’s congressional campaign committee. Also unmentioned was the novel in question: a Pulitzer Prize-winning fixture of the American literary canon — by a Nobel Prize-winner, no less — whose harrowing scenes conveyed the horrors of slavery, a subject with obvious historical resonance in Virginia.
    If nothing else this might send a few perverts off to read a piece of literature.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    And.. the book “Beloved “ is included in a national standard of some sort for advanced placement literature courses.

And the bill was vetoed at the recommendation of the Attorney General and the Virginia Education Association because it was confusing and redundant.

We are in the middle of some serious, world class mud slinging and fact distortion..

Yes we are---and we need to take it seriously
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    We are in the middle of some serious, world class mud slinging and fact distortion.
    One of the best descriptors I've read of our current status.

I have a solution to offer: Let's have the voters determine who is slinging mud, distorting facts, and who is not. For, the voters are often smarter than we may think. If we have a candidate in office who is a mudslinger and liar, let's vote that person out of office. It's a lot to ask of voters, but I think they're up to the task.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

It's a lot to ask of voters, but I think they're up to the task.
    I pray that you are correct.

Thank you, Dave.

With election season coming up, we'll find out which way voters think we should go.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Sorry, but I think most voters are idiots. Just take a look at the last few presidential elections and tell me I'm wrong. That carries on to the down ballot candidates. It explains why we are in the shape we are in today.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Sorry, but I think most voters are idiots. Just take a look at the last few presidential elections and tell me I'm wrong. That carries on to the down ballot candidates. It explains why we are in the shape we are in today.
    If not most, almost most..

Our current political ads are one step short of “coca cola in the water fountain “..

If one guy wins, our taxes drop to almost nothing (do we layoff the State Police and DOT?) and if the other guy wins my taxes will go up by $4370.00.. (pretty exact number, no mention of average so poor people and rich people all the same.. but, how do they know?)

Just crazy stuff being said close to Election Day.. and crazier is that people believe the stuff..

The optimist in me wants to think better of my fellow man---but the realist isn't going along on that trip---however, I will continue to pray that side of me is wrong. ​

Gaining information on many of these candidates is difficult, while there are many judgeships up for election/reelection, there is precocious substantive information available. After considerable web browsing I cobbled together three organization's websites that I felt had valuable information and little if any bias---just the facts.

Subsequently, I sent an email to our local newspaper and offered that list to them and asked them to include it in last weeks edition, in any form they felt comfortable with---they sent back a refusal.

The editor said that he preferred to publish the information submitted by the candidates----only a few of whom ever reply to his request :dah:

So much for education!