Thread: Dune - A Movie Review

Dune - A Movie Review

"Dreams are messages from the deep."

Thus starts Dune, released on HBO Max and in theaters on November 22, 2021.

We start by viewing a military transfer of power in House Atreides – authorizing war. While the Duke is having his son, Paul Atreides, trained by Gurney Halleck, in hand-to-hand combat.

For those who've seen the 1984 cinematic version, the musical opening portends this more mystical and religious 2021 viewpoint. Yet, Paul's mother is presented as neurotic as before. And, as before, she's a witch in a strict religious culture, ruled by a dogmatic and powerful Mother Superior.

Young Paul is excited and interested in going to Aracas, a desert planet in another solar system. He wants a grand real-world adventure. Coincidentally, the Emperor of Paul's universe has assigned House Atreides to administrate the sandy dry world.

For those interested, the Greek and Islamic structures of the original movie are replicated in family and social systems. Paul and his royal family have classic Greek builds, facial features, and facial hair of their forefathers.

As before, the fat-looking Harconans and the Emperor are corrupt and inherently evil. And, the Harconans again give up the rule of House Aracas to House Atreides, per the Emperor's order.

I found the machinery presented onscreen to be a powerful reminder we're seeing one possible future. There are helicopter-like flying machines that deploy dragonfly wings and there are huge tracked mining machines that dig for spice (the most powerful and expensive substance in known worlds).

Noticeable as well in this version is the interracial integration of already known characters. For example, Stilgar, a leader and representative of the local Fremen on Aracas, is now a middle-aged Spaniard rather than a Nordic-looking middle-aged man. And, Paul's future love interest is a mixed-race singer/actress named Zendaya. As before, both exhibit the acting chops one would want in an epic adventure.

This is a complicated and deep movie that would struggle to cover the material put forth in several Dune books (which I have read). But, doing so allowed a deeper look into the personal struggles of the characters over several generations of births, deaths and cloning. As part 1 of a 2-part movie, you'll be left hanging as to whether or not Paul becomes the Mu Ab-Deed or if the Freman girl Chiani becomes his wife.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Wowzers.. I didn’t realize all of that was going on..

Good effects
    Good costumes .. the moisture recovery suits are a very good touch..
    Good sets.. the winged helicopter and the “Crain aircraft “ are most creative..
    Good cinematography
    Good flow and cohesion

Sound was a bit unbalanced for my tastes.. dialog was to low or effects were too loud..

I liked it..

I hope I remember what I watched when part 2 is released

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    ... dialog was to low or effects were too loud..
    That ruins any production for me. My ears don't pick up speech too well.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That ruins any production for me. My ears don't pick up speech too well.
    Me either...I use captioning whenever it's available......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Yes, captioning helps with understanding where things are headed. I too need to see what's spoken as well as read it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the 2nd part of Dune. And, if they sink as much money into it as the 1st part, it'll be awesome.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead