Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You go lady

You go lady

This is one gutsy and focused lady---it is refreshing to see ethics, principles and morality stand up and be counted in the Capital Hill sea of flotsam

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) has warned Republican political consultants that they may not continue to work for both him and Representative Liz Cheney (R-WY), who is vice chair of the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol.

While Republican lawmakers are trying to sweep the insurrection under the rug, Cheney is calling out the attack and demanding sunlight on what happened. Republican leaders are lining up behind former president Trump in hopes of retaining his loyalist voters, but Cheney is repeatedly, and increasingly clearly, suggesting that the president was responsible for the events of that day.

That McCarthy is trying to make her a pariah indicates a fight over the future of the Republican Party. While one fund-raising company has already cut ties with her, Cheney is not operating from a weak position. Her father is Richard (Dick) Cheney, who was President George W. Bush’s vice president and, perhaps more significant for today’s events, President George H. W. Bush’s secretary of defense. The Cheneys are likely not unaware of what is happening among intelligence officials, which seems likely to involve some current Republican lawmakers.

And Liz Cheney’s stand against McCarthy and Trump is not hurting her politically at home: she has raised more than $5 million for her reelection, compared to the $300,000 raised in the last two months or so by her Trump-backed opponent.

There is an important story behind McCarthy’s attack on Representative Cheney. She presents a threat to the pro-Trump Republican Party not simply because she is standing strong against the former president and the attack on our democracy.

She is offering to women and men in the suburbs a reasonable alternative to those pro-Trump representatives like Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) and Lauren Boebert (R-CO) whose pistol packing and aggression gets attention for all the wrong reasons. Trump Republicans have lost the support of suburban women, and Cheney seems to be picking them up and explaining that Trump and his supporters, including McCarthy, tried to destroy our democracy. That McCarthy felt it necessary to try to undercut her this way suggests they see her as a major threat.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    We like a good fight.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

Good to see you Billy---hope all is well
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

i'm positive that Trump was the cause of the cop who shot an unarmed female for trespassing. I'm also positive that the hours of video that the dems don't want seen will show protesters actually walking around taking pictures and Capital Police asking them to leave since no one was violent. [ except the cop ]
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

It pleases me to see our members not letting the insurrection fall into the void. What occurred on Jan 6th was a threat to our democracy which should get the sunlight it needs.

Well done, my friends.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I'm sorry LV---but the more we learn the more difficult it will be to deny the truth.

I'm not denying that the actions on Jan 6 were not wrong . What I find hard to take is the amount of lies being put out by the media and those dems in the Congress and Senate .

TRUTH . Ashley Babbit was SHOT by a Capitol Policeman for no good reason .
    TRUTH . There were many people just walking around taking pics.
    TRUTH . A person did go onto the chairperson platform . However there was NO violent act there .
    TRUTH . A person did indeed enter the Speakers office , sit behind her desk and put his feet up on it .
    TRUTH . There were Federal agents in the crowd who either encouraged the actions or did nothing to stop them .
    TRUTH . People have been locked up for months with no trial date set for TRESPASSING .
    TRUTH . People who were outside of the building have been arrested for no reason other than gathering at the Capitol .
    TRUTH . From what I have seen and read , there was NO intent to harm any legislator .
    I could go on but my point being , the actions were wrong however they in no way rise to the level of the riots sen elsewhere this year .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

I'm sorry that you have immersed yourself in revisionist rhetoric IV.

I could counter point by point---but it would be no more than a waste of space, clearly you are commitment to this altered reality. I am sorry.

The Democrats need Trump, they need to keep this January 6th incident in the news. They don't have anything else to run on because the record of the current administration is abysmal.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I'm sorry that you have immersed yourself in revisionist rhetoric IV.

I could counter point by point---but it would be no more than a waste of space, clearly you are commitment to this altered reality. I am sorry.
    Dave , perhaps you could enlighten me on any of the facts I stated and set me on the path of what you consider the truth of it.

And as one of the newly [ almost ] retired , you should have the time . Welcome to the , I thought this was going to be a relaxing time of my life crowd .

I'll start with your #1 "TRUTH . Ashley Babbit was SHOT by a Capitol Policeman for no good reason ."

The only truth is that Ashley Babbit was shot. There was plenty of reason. She was part of an insurrection attempting to overthrow this country with the intent of murdering members of Congress. The officer used great restraint. I probably would have shot a good many more of the insurrectionists. That's my take on the matter.

What the officer, the Justice Department and Capitol Police said about the matter:

Asked why he pulled the trigger, Byrd said it was a “last resort.”

“I tried to wait as long as I could,” he told Holt. “I hoped and prayed no one tried to enter through those doors. But their failure to comply required me to take the appropriate action to save the lives of members of Congress and myself and my fellow officers.”

Byrd has been cleared of wrongdoing by the Justice Department and the Capitol Police. In announcing its decision not to charge him, the Justice Department said in April that investigators had examined video, physical evidence from the scene, autopsy results and statements from the officer involved, as well as other officers and witnesses.

“The investigation revealed no evidence to establish that, at the time the officer fired a single shot at Ms. Babbitt, the officer did not reasonably believe that it was necessary to do so in self-defense or in defense of the Members of Congress and others evacuating the House Chamber,” federal prosecutors said in a statement.
    NEWS REPORT
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Truth: the actions of the Insurrectionists resulted in the Deaths of Law Enforcement Officers. Therefore the actions of all of them makes them accessory to murder in my eyes. They can all go rot in jail.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

If you actually believe what you just typed , I have no words to say .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The officer used great restraint.
    I am fortunate to not have been caught up in such a position when on duty. I'd like to think I would have done the right thing, but I'll never know.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I'm sorry IV, but anyone not denouncing this as insurrection becomes party to that insurrection.

These rabid right talking points are nothing more than a cheap attempt to wash off the stain of this act.