Thread: The Edwin B Forsyth Wildlife Refuge

The Edwin B Forsyth Wildlife Refuge

...is a 47,000 acre coastal wetland on the New Jersey shore administered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. It offers not only unlimited sightings of wild birds of a broad spectrum, it also offers the best and in my opinion only good view of Atlantic City:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-10-21 12.38.03reva.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	451.9 KB 
ID:	38323

The contrast is striking!

I think we tallied 29 distinct species that we had positive IDs on. The total number of birds was beyond even a guess

Name:	2021-10-21 12.31.48reva.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	420.2 KB 
ID:	38324

Sights like these Great White Egrets were not uncommon---I saw more of them yesterday than I have ever seen in my life.

I was also surprised (but should not have been) by them roosting in trees

Name:	2021-10-21 14.54.22 Reva.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	370.5 KB 
ID:	38325

All in all---an exceptional day with perfect weather
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-22-2021 at 12:27 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post

Sights like these Great White Egrets were not uncommon---I saw more of them yesterday than I have ever seen in my life.
    I see Great White Egrets pretty much daily on the lake outside my window. There is also an abundance of Cattle Egrets.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I regret I wouldn't know an egret if one bit me in the butt......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I regret I wouldn't know an egret if one bit me in the butt......Ben
    The white birds you see hanging out around and sometimes on top of cattle are Cattle Egrets. I'm sure you've seen them.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I'm sure I've seen them, I just never knew what they were other than birds......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...